A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic Thumbnail

Dynamic Thumbnail

I want to make a gallery section on my site, which creates thumbnails from full sized pictures, which it auutomatically renders from a directory, so that whenever a jpg is dropped into the directory, on the next visit to the site it is automatically thumbed into flash.

has anyone done anything like this before, or have any advice on how to go about this? tyia

you say insanity like its a BAD thing

Thumbnails are usually a separate set of images, to reduce the initial file size. Flash can not make these, you will need a serverside script like php or asp in that case.

Flash can not read directories either, so to check how many images there are you will need a script to do that as well ( there are many free scripts like that ).

I have scripted a lot of dynamic galleries, but I do it a little differently. I have a small administration section IN the gallery where I add images and descriptions. It is saved to a textfile that the gallery reads when loading and then automatically duplocates all thumb movieclips and put the right images and actions where they should be.
    I also have a upload image form so I dont have to do regular FTP ( its made for my clients who knows nothing about FTP ).

( Ex gallery www.maxschultz.com/pp )

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

yeah i'm well aware of the scripting i'll need to do. but i like the sound of your method, seems like it will make it 10x easier. thanks for the tip

you say insanity like its a BAD thing