A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: *****paging Oldnewbie******

designer

*****paging Oldnewbie******

I respect your knowledge!!!!!! You have helped me in the past....please see my question below and any help is greatly appreciated!

I am creating a CD-Rom that is basically a home page (intro.exe) with 4 buttons (intro, part1, part2 and part3).

I have a fscommand folder, which has part1.exe, part2.exe and part3.exe in it. Outside of that folder, I have intro.exe. My CD will auto launch with intro.exe and it works wonderfully. Then I click on any button and it launches! But then, when I click on any of the other buttons again, they don't launch. I can't get back to my intro.exe either.

I suspect this has something to do with the fscommand folder. How can I link all of these .exes so people can seamlessly navigate within the separate files? The code I have on my buttons are as follows:

on(release) {
    fscommand("exec", "part1.exe");
    }

I have this on all my buttons but obviously pointing to different .exe files.
    I realize I can't get back to my intro.exe button when I have already launched either part1.exe, part2.exe, or part3.exe.

Someone suggested loading swfs into the original exe. If I do that, what code should I put on my buttons?

HELP!!!!!!

Banned
    Ummmmmmh!
    I've not work with CDs, nor that much with .exes.
    As was suggested, you could try just keeping your intro as an .exe, and simply load the parts as external .swfs, loaded in a container clip or on another level of intro.exe...
    Have you used loadMovie, or loadMovieNum before?

designer
    You are the best! Thank you for your reply...I have tried to use them before, but with no success. Simply because I am probably not using the right code...

Banned
    Well, you can have a look at this tutorial, to load external .swfs in container clips...

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/loading.htm

Might be easier to just start with loading on a level, rather than in a container clip...
    Basically your intro.exe would be your main movie, with buttons to target the other parts, something like...
    code:
    on(release){
    loadMovieNum("part1.swf", 5);
    }

This would load part1 on level 5. If you keep loading each movie on the same level, loading a new one would automatically replace the previous one. All that's left to solve is to make sure your navigations buttons (at the end of the intro.exe), remain visible, since the higher level(5) will appear on top of your main movie.
    Are all your movies of the same dimensions?

designer
    I'm so excited. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!
    I tested it on one button and your code works!!! I just need to do it for the rest of them and see if I run into any problems. Yes, all the movies are the same size...So, that's good. When you press a button, the file you were just in closes, right? I couldn't tell...