A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: socket adapting

socket adapting

I'm going to be moving to the states soon, and I'll be bringing a bunch of my stuff that plugs into a type C (or J) socket. Since sockets in the US are another standard (type A/B), I was wondering if I'd have to get an adaptor for every plug, or if I could get one single adaptor, and then use a socket extension with, say 8 type C sockets. I assume this would work, but I wouldn't want to fry anything trying to find out...

Has anyone had tested this before?

Thanks.

-S.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar

Re: socket adapting

Originally posted by SubwayDesigns
    I'm going to be moving to the states soon, and I'll be bringing a bunch of my stuff that plugs into a type C (or J) socket. Since sockets in the US are another standard (type A/B), I was wondering if I'd have to get an adaptor for every plug, or if I could get one single adaptor, and then use a socket extension with, say 8 type C sockets. I assume this would work, but I wouldn't want to fry anything trying to find out...

Has anyone had tested this before?

Thanks.

-S.

Keep your camera ready incase you ended up frying everything

but seriously distribute your appliances on at least two socket extensions, and you can easily calculate the watt for them, a typical extension cord can handle around 1200 watt with no problem

will do...

Ok, so I won't have to be buying 15 adaptors, good news =)

Thanks for your answer.

will do...

Ok, so I won't have to be buying 15 adaptors, good news =)

Thanks for your answer.

Just make sure they'll work with the 110 Volts and God knows how many amps

Standard N. American outlet is 120v. I was having this problem not too long ago.

This site is good for plug comparison/plug type.

You'll really find this site useful. It explains voltages, and wattage.

There's a lot to consider when looking for a converter/transformer, so be sure to read and reread until you think you're ready to purchase.

I must warn you, buying an adapter will not change the current, or step down your native 220v to 120v. You'll need a transformer/converter in addition to an adapter.

While we're on the subject of transformers/converters, you'll need to buy either a transformer or a converter based on what you want to use. Converters are primarily for running items like hair dryers and irons. You'll need a transformer if you plan on using electronics. Transformers can also run the items that converters can run, so a transformer is your best bet. Also, on each device/appliance you want to run, check the wattage on it. If you plan on running more than one device/appliance from one transformer/converter, which I'm sure you will want to, you'll need to buy one that can handle the total combined wattage of each appliance/item.

For example (I'm just making up wattages, so don't use these numbers when calculating.):

Radio uses: 20 watts
    Computer uses: 200 watts
    Lamp uses: 10 watts
    ----------------------
    Total wattage=230 watts

So, you'll need a transformer, since there's electronic devices in that list, that can handle over 230 watts.

When you're ready to get your converter, try here. They have pretty reasonable prices. They're based in the states, so you might want to have it shipped to your new address.

If you plan on staying in the states for a while, my best suggestion is to just buy new appliances if you've got more than two. You'll spend far too much in converters/transformers and adapters.

I hope this helps.

-genesis f5 (mx)

Ok, thanks for the in-depth explanation Gen.

Now that I have a clearer view, I think I'll follow your advice and simply buy new stuff. I thought it'd be easier to transfer everything over. It's not like there's that much, it's mainly sentimental value

Just one question, if you'll excuse my complete ignorance in this field... how come I can charge my laptop in the US with a simple plug adaptor, and no transformer or converter?

thanks again for the help.

-s.

you might want to check here

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

How come I can charge my laptop in the US with a simple plug adaptor, and no transformer or converter?

Some devices/electronics have the ability to be used globally. On the transformer, check its power rating. It should say that it's approved for either 220v or 120v. If not, you've been doing a very bad thing.

-genesis f5 (mx)

ok, it must be compatible then

I hope...

ok, it must be compatible then

I hope...
    my new camera arrived from the states with a power adapter that works on 120v-240v which is cool, coz now I'm so poor I can't afford to buy the adapter