A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preloader Explained

i wish i dident have to ask this

Ok so iv tried just about every preloader on flashkit and still no love. Im sure its really simple and i just cant see it. Iv got two frames in the main scene, the first contains the preloader that joejoe2288 so beautifully graced us with (which at the moment has taken the place of every other freebie for the newbie preloader). And on the second frame is a scrollpane which contains a movie that holds buttons that uses the loadMovie action.

so now i test the movie and show streaming and i get a blank page fooooreeeever, then the preloader pops up for a hot second to show me that 90 something% has loaded then we see the content.

does this problem have something to do with the scrollpane and it's calling up a movie containing buttons? Id think not but when I pull it out and put in a quicktime or sound she works fine. Please help me and I swear I'll never ask a preloaders question again (i hope)
    love
    ken

Can this script be adapted to dynamically loading an external jpg into a movie clip? Any suggestions on where to start with this?

Thanks

sure here is an example
    So tired of all the fighting....

http://joejoe2288.kawanda.net

THANK YOU. You just saved me a lot of time.

np did you like the pic

HA, yes... Definately better than a fruitbasket or a picture of somebody's poodle.

I have a question for you though. I'm getting some inconsistencies out of the preloader. I can't figure out any patterns, but sometimes the pre-loader won't display and other times it will. To the best of my knowledge I can't tell that I am doing anything differently. Any ideas what could cause the preloader to display sometimes and not others? The image always loads, so it's just related to the display of the preloader.

Well, when are you seeing this problem, when you are testing the movie? If so then one time you might be viewing it as it would be on projector and the other might be as if it was streaming (hit ctrl+enter twice)

If you want you can post the fla you are seeing inconcistencies in and I will take a look

Thank you, I'll see if I can clean up the file a little and put it up. What I'm seeing is really strange. When it previews in Flash, the preloader works when I turn the "streaming" feature on. When someone with dial-up views the movie however, the pre-loader does not display.

I will see what I can do to get the fla file up in a simplified form. There's a bunch of crap in the one i have now that would be a pain to sort through.

Thanks again

No problem, it doesn't work on regular preview because it has no size to preload since your computer loads it automatically from your computer causing the preloader to so called be "invisible"

Just now getting back to the project today. The problem is really strange. I'm getting two seperate behaviours. The preloader works when I simulate the download, but not when I put it online. In other words, the pre-loader works locally, but not remotely.

I'm not sure why I would be getting seperate behaviours in the simulated streaming preview and the flashviewer online.

I'll put something up here as soon as I reduce the movie to the relevant code.

Thanks

Well, how big are the files that are loading, if you are on broadband and files are small the simulation simulates on dial up speed so broadband might load the files automatically

K, I just found out the results are the same with your application. See here :
    http://www.iamba.org/test/loadmoviemx.swf

This is the same app with a jpeg large ~460k jpeg that should be enought to warrent the preloader even on higer speed connections. It works perfectly in my preview with the download simulation, but not in the browser? Really strange. Any ideas?

Thank you for all your help

I can see the preloader!
    The button loads the movie in a different spot...? Post your fla!

This movie has the same problem mine does and the critical code is very similar. What happens (Depending on the speed the image loads) is the preloader will flash (with no progression) for one frame or so and then will disappear altogether while the image loads.

On my machine there is about two seconds where neither the image nor the pre-loader is visible. The image will then appear once it has loaded with no preloader displaying the progress. Sometimes the pre-loader will work and other times it will not. I included three images in this sample in hopes that you would be able to see the pre-loader be absent on at least one of the loads. I think something is going on here where the pre-loader does not instantiate when some part of the movie is in a particular "state".

When I display this in Flash using the preview mode it works fine, the problem only surfaces when on the web. It gets even worse when I don't select "Use Actionscript 2.0" on the export. I did notice that.

I included the flash movie that isolates the problem, but like I said, THIS part is almost entirely your code with only slight moderations. The other clip has code scattered all over it and would quickly confuse the issue. Thank you, again for spending time on this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

when i substitued links to each of the pics in this folder it worked fine in preview mode Maybe you need a different version of flash player

Four and Tewnty Blackbirds
    whoa thanks joejoe... of course im too lazy to read all of it so ill read it later... lol

-jarredchili

I thought of the problem being related to the flash player, so I downloaded the latest from Macromedia to make sure. I also got about 4 people with dial-up to test this for me and they all showed the same results. The pre-loader ONLY works in the flash preview mode, the identical movie does not work once the movie is put online. Do you think this could be a timing issue with the preloader only being available at a certain frame or something? I say this because it does work roughly 50% of the time online (which I think is even more strange). This is all I can think of. It works fine in Flash using the simulated download preview, but not online and I am out of ideas. Sorry to be such a pain about this, but I'm going nuts!!!

This one works

I changed the methods a bit. I copied and modified some code out of one of my books. It seems to work pretty well. You need three images, image1.jpg image2.jpg and image3.jpg in the same directory to get it to work. (I'm putting this here for anyone else who might want to use the sample for preloading jpgs). Thank you for all your help, thus far, joe joe. That's a lot of work you put into explaining these things, I'm still not sure why that example isn't stable online according to my tests, but this sample works. It also uses a "setinterval" technique rather than a frame update event, so it's a little more robust in that sense.
    Attached Files Attached Files

NP, sorry it didn't work for you, it works for me just glad you got it to work