A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you do this effect?

Hmm.... Clever title.....

How do you do this effect?

How do you do this properly in Photoshop, Illustrator or Flash? I know it's probably mad easy, because I see it everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could take the polygon selecion tool in photoshop, draw one side, fill the selection and mirror it?

Or you could import that image to AI and trace it?

Same in flash. It's not that tough really.

Well, I made that crappy example, so I can duplicate it no problem; I guess i should have been more specific. I'm hoping for a way to create this type of look and have control over how many degrees each ray is, so that the thickness and spacing of each ray would be precise and identical. I've seen this type of thing used a lot in advertising, so I was assuming there was a common and easy way to duplicate it. I've managed to fake it with the polygon selector on PS since I've posted, but I'm still looking for a way to get more precision.

Thank you for your reply though.

just decide how many 'rays' you want and how wide you want them to be.
    then you can create how ever many trigngular sections you need and rotate them about a central point by even amounts (dependin on how many and how wide, how much spacing). then just mask off- add the middle circle.

I tihnk thats porbably the best way. - you could make movie in flash that you could type in number of rays - ray radius spacing etc and it would draw one for you but tahts taking it a bit far.

That's what I needed! Good looking out!

need 2 layers, first will be your background, 2nd (on top of the bg layer) for your rays

on the rays layer
    - use "rectangular marquee tool to make a few rectangles of different width, but 100% height
    - with that layer still selected, go to filter > distort > polar cordinates (rectangular to polar)

If you want precision, make all the rectangles the same size and with equal spacing between them. Just a hint, the smaller the rays, the more you need

you could also use the "Array tool" in Illustrator. takes an object and based on input values copies it around a point.

I can't find the array tool, but are you talking about

Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform...

?

Hi in illustrator select the single beam then click the rotate tool from the main tools menu, hold down the alt key and click in the centre of the circle.

- menu box appears -

then type in the angle eg 36 = 10 18 = 20 then click preview to see where it will end up then click the copy key when you are happy

then ctrl and D = duplicate

bp