A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: --- America's 10 Most Wanted ---

--- America's 10 Most Wanted ---

Hi All

Here is our latest site. It is not for the weak hearted. Our brief was that size did not matter so, although we tried to keep the size down we did not allow size concerns to restrict our creativity.

The site allows the client to update most of the content themselves. It took two of people about four weeks (although we had some other projects as well) and included some 3d modelling.

All comments welcome

Here is the URL:

americas10mostwanted.com

Philippe
    GRINLOCK.COM

no feeback?

Hi all

I would really appreciate some feedback .. anything ... really

I've had problems in the past with people unable to respond to some of my posts. If this is the case would you mind starting a new thread with the same title?

Really appreciate it

Philippe

Good Work. I just wished the site was a bit bigger.

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    Not bad I heard that game was horrible lol. I like your personal site its pretty cool.
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

You know what is really horrible? You do all that work and then you don't get paid. But I've learned. I now put expiry dates in all my projects . I take them out when I get paid.

i am on 512k and it down loads faster that a lot of sites with less content. nice to see some people take pride in streamming there media!

+ like the 3d planeing effect when you click between menu items

i like it a lot

expiry date? do you embed something in the swf? got any funny storys about panic clients? love to here about that
    Last edited by lomokev; 08-10-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Non paying clients

Hi Iomokev

Here is the code I place in my sites until the client pays. It sets a variable that is needed to get the site to work. In this case it sets _root.siteActivated = 1. In my case don't allow access to any content unless _root.siteActivated = 1. So the site loads and they can go to the different section but no content loads and they hace this message on the screen that says the website is not availble.

_root.siteActivated = 0;
    myExpiredate = new Date();
    var d1 = myExpiredate.getDate();
    var d2 = myExpiredate.getMonth();
    var d3 = myExpiredate.getYear();
    // THIS VERSION CURRENTLY SET TO EXPIRE ON 23 August 2004
    if ((d2 == 6) || (d1<23 && d2<8 && d3 == 104)) {
    _root.siteActivated = 1;
    } else {
    _root.urgentmessage = "THIS WEBSITE IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"+newline+"PLEASE COME BACK LATER";
    }

One important thing is you have to let your client know at the start of the project that you are going to include that as part of the development so they cannot turn around and say you have not done your part of the contract by providing them with a site that is not functional.

Those clients that don't pay obviously don't like this expiry date but it really helps them remain focused on the issue. In some cases they really do have a cash flow problem and then agree to pay in instalments so I give them a new release with a new expiry date set for the next instalment.

P.