A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cosmetic Dentistry

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Cosmetic Dentistry

Anyone here ever consider cosmetic dentistry??

I chipped one of my front teeth opening a vodka bottle Don't ask

Anyway it is just an extremely small chip that my regular dentist can't/won't fix; so now I am considering going to a cosmetic dentist to get it fixed.

I was thinking of veneers which are just a thin porcelain layer over the front of the teeth, and while I'm in there maybe some laser whitening.

Anyone have any ideas about costs, pain, etc., involved??

I've always had great natural teeth (no braces needed, no cavities, no overbites, etc.) so I don't want to get something that feels like dentures.

Any info, websites with costs, pros, cons, stories, etc., would be appreciated.

Again it is just a small chip, so I admit the fix would be more for vanity, it's not like half my tooth is missing like Llyod from Dumb and Dumber

Re: Cosmetic Dentistry

Originally posted by flipshark
    I chipped one of my front teeth opening a vodka bottle Don't ask
    Oh, but I must. Do tell.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

when i was 22, i smashed my face up pretty bad while skating in houston. the damage included cracking my two front teeth in half, and loosening 3 more. the solution we went with was to cap and veneer them, and the results were fantastic...my teeth are actually better than before. if you are doing straight up veneers with no other heavy capping/implants, you should be fine. they last about 15 years, look great, and are easy to take care of. as long as you floss and brush well, you are good to go. unless you are afraid of the dentist, the pain is nothing compared to a serious filling. money is an issue, as you get what you pay for. it's worth spending lots of dough, as it is your teeth. btw - nobody even knows i have them, so don't think it's like getting a toupee or anything - when done right, it looks very natural.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Nords, Do you have any idea of a price range?? I have some extra cash right now, but if it is like 3 or 4 thousand I may just get the chip filed down for $50.

As for the story, I said don't ask because it is rather dumb . I tried to open a large bottle of Finlandia vodka with my front teeth. Next day in the mirror I noticed the small chip.

depends on how many teeth...
    info

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Yeah, I chipped my front tooth after a decent session in Fells Point (Baltimore) and it's still there, ten years later (trying to bite the lense of my old glasses back into the frame after it fell out, if you really want to know).

Doh.

It's no big deal, hardly visible, maybe a li'l darker, but one day I'd like to get it sorted - and get that laser whitening. What's that all about? Is it expensive?
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

i've never done whitening...it looks silly imo.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I think it can be done tastefully.

My teeth are subjected to some nasty crap, coffee, Coke, but I did quit smoking five years ago, so I'd like to see what they look like without that tarnish.

(I've had checkups since, but never any whitening)
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

you're right, a couple shades is fine.
    but serious, tv-style whitening is almost like wearing a rug...too obvious.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

My sister kicked me in the mouth when I was 10 and chipped my front teeth. Never bothered to do anything about it... it's not too noticeable although some people have asked about it

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Originally posted by sydneyeliza
    My sister kicked me in the mouth when I was 10 and chipped my front teeth. Never bothered to do anything about it... it's not too noticeable although some people have asked about it

But you did get her back, right??

I mean Revenge is better served cold

it's never to late...
    subgenius.com

Thanks for the link Nords

$2000 per tooth.. ouch!

I also probably have to get 2 teeth done cause if one front tooth has no veneer and the other does it could look off..

As for laser whitening, the bright white whitening is around $1000 -1350 CAD or $750-1000 USD depending on where you go.

I could always get one of the Smallville (tv show) smiles where whenever the actors are in blue light it practacally blinds the viewer.

As for it being a tupee, it's not something I'd care if people know or not. Them = "Your teeth are so white" Me = "Yes I got laser whitening"

I mean at least 90+% of people buy whitening toothpaste and other such products. So I really can't picture some Stephen King's Carrie type scene where I'll be surrounded by people chanting "you have white teeth, you have white teeth"