A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: continue this design?

continue this design?

what do you think.. almost all in 3d.. move to computer to view websites, and graphics.. for loading this scene, computer boots... for video, move to tv.. for loading tv turns on or something? for resume.. move to printer or something, maybe something from the computer that you click then it moves to the printer and prints a resume.. nice scenery in the window that changes or something.. and go to the phone for contact or something..

should i spend the time?

http://jfreeden.com/test/room.html

I like the look. It sounds like you're thinking of making your navigation based on objects rather than text. Personally i hate sites that i have to "Discover" how to navigate. they're a quick alt-f4. As someone who occassionally has to hire people and go over resumes, if i coulnd't find the resume on your site in an obvious manner, i'd assume you did't have one. and I would't take the time to look for someones portfolio or resume on the site.

also, kill some of the splash page time by flashing the floor and wall color in, instead of painting it in. and eliminate the tv and monitor sceen fade ins. just put them in the first painted in picture to begin with. I know its only 9 seconds long ... but i got cable internet for "instant" access.

Que paso, que paso, vamos ahi? Don Ramon's Avatar
    Its a nice idea but if you want to go ahead with this i really recommend implementing tooltips
    Drink milk!

Hmm.... Clever title.....
    If your idea is to use the text navigation in the corner, but then say, move your perspective to the phone when you click on "contact" for example, then I say good stuff. Personally though, I'd make the animations go by quickly, as cool as they look, there is enough waiting to be done on the internet.

ya i was thinking click then.. phone caller id window comes in with contact info in it or something.. there will be a sub menu for portfolio which i am goin to rename multimedia.. and from that you will head to the computer or tv or something.. im gonna try some things and get they back up here for review.. thanks for all the comments

well, I like the way the page builds, etc. Think it is good. Definately put both graphical and textual navigation on your site. At first I didn't see the text navigation at the bottom and was mousing around trying to get the mouse cursor to become a hand. I would keep the way it loads.

wd

Loving it, try making it a bit more realistic, use alot of bitmaps and make the motion tweening very realistic...

I am working on a similar printer theme for my 'about' page... take a look!

www.robbmc.com
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Hey, i just noticed that my earlier response seemed a little harsh. Just my opinions and suggestions, and those aside, I like the animation and the general idea.

Thanks for all the comments! I got some headway here.. more that gets done more im not sure how i wanna execute this thing.. all i got so far is the web part working.. multimedia->web.. what do you think? what should i do about the computer background? maybe give it a solid color like i did the walls? im gonna ditch that arrow that is moving also.. let me know if you run into any bugs also.. thanks much

http://jfreeden.com/test/main.html

freedejm,

Forgot to mention that I liked that preloader. Nice. Under Multimedia->Web for a computer background....well, You could put a windows based background (a graphic of some kind). Then as you click on a button on the bottom, have it open in a floating windows window (complete with menubar, etc.) on the computer screen animation. That would set it off from the background. Just an idea.

wd

def didnt like what i had at first.. it is different now.. i think it is gettin better now