A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Smooth Animation.

Smooth Animation.

Well i've been trying to learn Flash for about 2 days now. And i've been trying to get really smooth animation. Such as this example: http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/184506 .
    Would I have to raise the frame rate alot higher and make alot more frames? Or would I have to make more keyframes and change it more?

I've also been wondering how to make a stick man kick or punch or whatever smoothly, even walking smooth would be nice. Thanks for your help.

I would have to say to try increasing your frame rate to smooth it out. I myself am not very good at flash but I find that this helps. Other than that I don't know what to say.
    Yes, I am a flash newbie...
    But with a little help maybe I too can be good.

But when I increase the frames per second, the movie gets shorter, and faster. So if I extend the frames then it wouild jump again.

thats why higher fps looks nicer your mind doesn't have to fill in as many gaps so you make your animation less movement on each frame and it will be much smoother than lower frame rate with more emptyness between them
    So tired of all the fighting....

http://joejoe2288.kawanda.net

i've attached a file with a punching animation, and runing animation so you can see what the timeline might look like for a smooth animation. Also keep in mind that these animations were done using a 3d program so they need to be run at a high fps to look good.
    For stickmen animations a frame rate of 20 is good, and if you want to add some special fx then 25-30 is the best.

Also for the attached file you may find it useful to trace a stickman over top of the running animation (since i find making a basic running animation to be one of the hardest things to make look good). Then after tracing it you can add or delete frames and/or repostion things to make a more stylized run. Also try playing around with the frame rate (its currently set to 30) so that you can see what kind of effect it has on the animations.

oops, heres the file

nice animation cept it skips a little at the end
    So tired of all the fighting....

http://joejoe2288.kawanda.net

So I would have to raise the frame rate and make the movement on the image less for each keyframe for smooth?

ya i think i forgot to loop it properly (if you delete the last couple frames of the animation, so that its 29 frames long, it should stop it from skipping)

You pretty much got it, the more frames you have to do a certain animation, the smoother it will be. If you put too many frames you'll get a real good slo-mo effect

Okay, i'll try these things. Also the thing you send me I only see 2 keyframes O.o

ya they are movieclips, just double click them to edit them (or right click them and chose edit).

Ah I see. I tried to do a smooth animation with a stick man running. It wasn't smooth and it sucked.

Do you have MSN or an email address?
    It would be easier for me to get live help.

Try the transform panel...

amm...
    2 have a nice & smooth animation...yu gotta do some precise motion tweens...

So try doing calculated workd wid gridz & try to use the

transform pannel to its maximum...like see the x or y pos & the scale vice versa..

It wud move the jerkiness....

Accelerate the Fps to further smoothen any crooked paths ...but if required...
    Buzzz me when yu need help....

Peace out ....Holy Inferno