A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: passing data from FLASH to the html form field

passing data from FLASH to the html form field

Hi there

I run some survey software that uses ASP script. The ASP script displays a question per page.

For most of the questions it just uses HTML Form features (radio buttons, text boxes, combos etc) but for one of my questions I will be inserting a question that is actually an embeded SWF file. I want the data from that question to be posted in a normal HTML form Text box on the same page - after the user clicks on a submit button or something in the SWF file.

But the question is first.. IS IT POSSIBLE?? Or am i wasting my time trying to figure it out. IF IT IS POSSIBLE - any ideas anyone??

Just for some background... the reason why I need it to be on the same page is, my survey software uses validation to ensure that the question has data in it before it moves on. Because SWF is external to the software i need to ensure a user completes the question (with the data passing to the hidden text form field) so the software can say yes the user has data in that question and then continues.

Also it is damn easier if i can collect the data from the SWF along with the other data. Otherwise its a case iof trying to find a way of matching up data at the end - boooo!

Im despereate - u guys rock!

Cheers
    Chris

You can do it but why don't you just put a check in the swf itself so it doesn't let you post from it if there's no data?

Anyway - you just post from your swf to the whole url of the page that it's sitting in - http://www.yoursite.com/page1.asp

The variable that you post from flash (And make sure you use the POST method) can be picked up in your asp page using Request("variableName")

thank's Loydall

I understand what you mean, thanks... I have no idea where to start though. Can you please POST an example script.

Appreciate it so much!!

Cheers
    Chris