A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pop-Up in PCvs.Mac

Pop-Up in PCvs.Mac

Hello Board,

My Flash site launches javascript pop-up windows through button actions. In each of my pop-ups, I have both a Quicktime movie and a Flash movie. I'm using the following script in my buttons to call the pop-ups:

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:window.open('http://www.okworldwide.org/Pride142.html','newwindow','width=405,height=345,t op=10,left=10'); void(0);");
    }

In Dreamweaver, I'm setting the background color of my javascript window to BLACK. For some reason I am not able to figure out, in Windows, my pop-ups are improperly sized and have a WHITE background. While when viewed on a Macintosh, they appear as I've created them, sized correctly and with the BLACK background I've set. Does anyone know something about this?
    If you would care to have a look, my website is http://www.okworldwide.org.
    You can click on the black rectangles for examples of my pop-up windows.
    Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Kevin
    KQ

Looks like you're setting the embed size of your Quicktime movie to larger than it actually is. The movie is about 320 x 215, but you're embedding it at 400 x 290.

Thank you for the reply!
    I modified the sizes but still the same problem; mainly the background color is white on PC and black as it ought to be on the Mac.

Best,
    KQ
    KQ

Did you post the change to the site? I didn't see any difference on the files I checked.

Gods cower, women quiver. Buckwheat469's Avatar
    If you're using "java script:window.open" then this is your problem for the size issue. It should be "javascript:window.open". IE gets picky about javascript when it's being called.

Also, the quicktime window is bigger than the movie inside the window (not the popup window size). Set the dimensions for the quicktime movie to be the same as the imported movie within it.

<embed src="media/Pride/fx279_SunriseRiverSOURCE.mov" width="400" height="290"></embed>

should be...

<embed src="media/Pride/fx279_SunriseRiverSOURCE.mov" width="320" height="215"></embed>

Lastly, if it's quicktime within a swf file then just put:
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed src="media/Flags/PrideSource.swf" ... wmode="transparent">

This will make the background on your flash file transparent and will allow you to make your sites do things you never though possible.
    Check out http://www.vanlierops.com/index1.html for an example. Look for the flower in the upper left corner.
    yup.

Gods cower, women quiver. Buckwheat469's Avatar
    Stupid thing, rendered my last comment.

The first thing is
    [embed src="media/Pride/fx279_SunriseRiverSOURCE.mov" width="400" height="290"][/embed]

The second is
    [embed src="media/Pride/fx279_SunriseRiverSOURCE.mov" width="320" height="215"][/embed]

The last is

[param name="wmode" value="transparent"]
    [embed src="media/Flags/PrideSource.swf" ... wmode="transparent"]
    yup.

To Buckwheat469 and rdoyle720,

Thank you guys. You were both right in advising me to resize the quicktime within the window. I was trying to position media in javascript by telling it improper dimensions instead of listing the true media size and adjusting the quicktime in the html. Thanks again for your time and knowledge. I'm in the process of updating my site to run properly on both platforms!

Kindest Regards,
    Kevin

Also, the transparent Flash sounds interesting. I will look into this. I'm seeing some websites with the 'chromeless' thing going on, is this the same thing? Also some chromeless websites are built entirely in quicktime. Wild. I wish I had more time to explore this stuff.
    KQ