dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Lawyer on the Manhunt case Speaks (Video Game Violence)

Lawyer on the Manhunt case Speaks (Video Game Violence)

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/536/536062p1.html

If many of you are not familiar, with what happened, here a quick summar:

Kid in UK ( Warren Le Blanc ) murdered is 14 year old friend ( Stefan Pakeera ) claiming that he got the idea to kill from the video game Manhunt (by Rockstar, for the Sony Playstation 2). The mother of the victim has hired an American Lawyer to sue Rockstar ( based in Florida ) Sony , saying that the industry has done nothing to stop the marketing of games to young kids.

Yet these games are sold with restrictions.

Who's to blame?

Believe me, it aint the Video game industry.

If you're 17 and don't know that killing someone is wrong, you're destined for failure anyway. We're not talking about a 3 year old learning the ways of the world here. He was obsessed with the game, and the kid he killed owed him drug money. Obviously, the game is at fault.

I think it's much more likely that people who are potentially violent are attracted to these games, not that the games turn kids into killers. I can assure you that if by some bizzare circumstances I had a kid that was a little 'off', I wouldn't let them play those kinds of games. How about the hundreds of thousands of normal people who didn't kill anyone? Bad parenting I say.

Manhunt sucked anyway.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 08-05-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    If you're 17 and don't know that killing someone is wrong, you're destined for failure anyway. We're not talking about a 3 year old learning the ways of the world here. He was obsessed with the game, and the kid he killed owed him drug money. Obviously, the game is at fault.

I think it's much more likely that people who are potentially violent are attracted to these games, not that the games turn kids into killers. I can assure you that if by some bizzare circumstances I had a kid that was a little 'off', I wouldn't let them play those kinds of games. How about the hundreds of thousands of normal people who didn't kill anyone? Bad parenting I say.

Manhunt sucked anyway.
    what gets me, is how this kid had the game in the first place?

Why wasn't the "mom" around when he bought it? Dont parents view and watch what their kids are buying? ONly now she is concerned about the violence? Where was she when he bought the game?

My parents were pretty open, letting us watch rated R movies, but on the condtion they were in the room with us to do so.

When my cousins were young, and we wnet shopping for stuff, if they picked up a game that was violent, I made sure that it wa alright with their parents to do so (a quick call to them wuold stop them cold if it wasn't)

Bad parenting coupled by parents thinking that the TV and video games are good babystting alternatives.

Um. So, where's gerbick with the "end of world" statement?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Originally posted by WizyWyg
    what gets me, is how this kid had the game in the first place?

Why wasn't the "mom" around when he bought it? Dont parents view and watch what their kids are buying?
    The kid who did this is 17, in the US he could buy it. (That is, if we actually followed the warning labels.) The question is, where was his Mom when he was selling drugs to 14 year olds?

My parents were pretty open, letting us watch rated R movies, but on the condtion they were in the room with us to do so.
    Hehe, my parents must be really bad.

It's my decision what i watch (and back when i was 'ickle it was also my decision) but i'm no killer.

You're right to say if they are violent, they are more likely to be affected.

Concerning the kid getting hold of the game, he looked old. that's all you need in the U.K. I got out 18 games and movies (R rated i think) when i was 15. It's the stores fault.

Anyway, i'm off to watch some Hardcore German Animal Related smut.
    Hehe...

I can't belive that people are still getting away with these lawsuits. There are two possibilities here

(A) The kid wasn't influenced by the game, but was actually a rather disturbed kid.

or

(B) The kid was so easily influenced by a video game that he killed someone. You need to be very gullible in order to be that easily influenced by a video game to be able to ignore all the other influences in your life saying that killing is bad. And it's hard to belive that someone this gullible would be able to sell drugs

a direct quote from the lawyers website

This site's purpose is to give you the means to contact Miami attorney Jack Thompson if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, including violent video games.
    The only way you can be harmed by violent entertainment and violent videogames is if you are sensitive the content of the game. If you dont like blood/violence etc. dont by the game and you wont be mentally harmed by it.

Surely this is a case of an Unstable mind murdering someone? A videogame cant murder someone, its just not possible.

just remember, guns dont kill people, wappers do

a cookie for anyone who knows what im on about

Re: Lawyer on the Manhunt case Speaks (Video Game Violence)

The mother of the victim has hired an American Lawyer to sue Rockstar
    What a load of @$". How is it Rockstar's fault?
    Keep it rural.

I daresay that games do influence people. Similarly to how i think that advertising must affect people, despite how much i think it doesnt affect me.

Blame?

I blame the kid, i think you can only blame the parents so much. He is old enough to have formed his own views on life, whether influenced by parents or not. As someone else said - if he hasnt learnt that killing/supplying drugs to kiddies is wrong, then really its only going to end in trouble. Sure if the storekeepers are selling these products to underage ppl then thats wrong. THen the storekeeper is at fault, hes breaking the law. Although i do have serious doubts over the whole rating system. Personally i believe that people should be intellegent enough to make their own descisions on whether they want view supposedly offesnive material. I have had the opportuinty to do so. Some movies i watch, some i dont i know what i am ready for. Shame alot of ppl dont seem to be able to do that.