dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: college advice needed

FK Enthusiast

college advice needed

i really want to be a web designer when i get out of college. im deceiding upon my major. should i put it down as computer science, computer information systems (for the database stuff), mulimedia studies, creative studies:computer science etc. i really need help

cheers

Depends what you want. What are your grades, SAT/ACT, and/or extracirriculars - that could help determine where you should apply. If you want computer science, the best schools are like MIT and CMU.

FK Enthusiast
    im considering applying to a uc.
    me, MIT yeah right i could never get in.
    3.8GPA
    1430SAT
    varsity soccer, swimming
    won music teachers assiciation of CA piano competition
    you think i gotta chance at MIT

Those are pretty good stats. Better than mine coming out of highschool. I am finishing up at the University of Houston this fall (only 4 classes left, yeah!) with an MIS degree.

I chose this over Computer Science as the MIS has a lot of business mixed into it with marketing, management, and accounting. We also did a lot of database and a little web development work as well as some work with C and Java.

IMHO I would not go the multimedia studies or creative studies route as this is probably some kind of liberal art degree. If something happens in the future you will be better off with a BS in MIS or CS.

I found the computer science degree to be pretty boring as it was nothing but writing programs all the time. No creativity in projects or anything.

Do some research about how much the different degrees are paying current graduates. For example, an article in the Houston Chronicle showed that on the national average CS majors come out making around $52,000, MIS come out making around $42,000 and Liberal Art majors come out making around $29,000. You do the math.

When I graduate I plan to continue doing my on thing as I would hate to go corporate.
    I will also be starting work my MBA with a focus in marketing to further increase my knowledge in this area of business. I have talked to a lot of people and they said get your MBA now when you are young and not married b/c if you don't get it now, then you probably never will. Plus they said an MBA will teach you things you never would learn in undergrad.

Whatever you choose, make sure you love it b/c if you love it you will succeed in it. Otherwise you will be miserable and life is to short. Good luck!
    "Leading the business of today into the future of tomorrow"

Originally posted by yuekai2003
    im considering applying to a uc.
    me, MIT yeah right i could never get in.
    3.8GPA
    1430SAT
    varsity soccer, swimming
    you think i gotta chance at MIT
    The GPA and SAT scores are not too far off from MIT...anyway, those will get you into most good computer schools. If it were me, I would apply early decision to Carnegie Mellon University.

Re: college advice needed

i really want to be a web designer when i get out of college. im deceiding upon my major. should i put it down as computer science, computer information systems (for the database stuff), mulimedia studies, creative studies:computer science etc. i really need help

cheers
    Well, if you are serious about being a web designer, i'd suggest that you study design. You know: color, type, layout, type, information design, type and page structure.

And maybe learn typography while you are at it.

It's great to have a designer who understands the languages and the science behind the web, but to be honest, if i had a choice between hiring a kick-ass designer who knows nothing about html, and an average designer who can code his or her own pages, i 'd choose the better designer every time.

Granted, we are a larger shop with a dedicated programming department, and our best html programmer is a decent designer in his own right, but once you start playing with the grown ups, job duties start to become a lot more segmented and specialized.

However, if you are just starting college, i wouldn't get too wrapped up into a career path. That's part of college. Heck, i started out as a film major, graduated with a double-major in history and journalism, and ten years later i'm a senior art director and lead Flash developer for a design agency. The irony is that even though my major has nothing to do with design, i use the skills i learned in college almost every day.

d.

ps, take at least one public speaking class too. That was probably one of the most useful classes i ever took.
    dlowe93

just do a double in MIS and computer science = )

...you'll find (especially at the schools suggested)... you are highly encouraged to study multiple fields.

I'm on a 5 year program getting a degree in physics with a business minor from one school, and an electrical engineering degree from another...

definitely look into your options... there are lots out there

3.8GPA
    1430SAT
    varsity soccer, swimming
    My stats were very similar, and I got into the University of Chicago. I didn't apply to MIT, but they're fairly similar in their selection.

My advice: pick three fields. Of the three, decide which one you have the most natural ability for, and just teach yourself that aspect. Of the remaining two, decide which one you want more detail and experience with, and which one you just want exposure to. Major in the area you want details in. If your school allows students to Minor in a field (Minors don't exist at UofC) do that on the final area -- otherwise just use your electives for that.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Originally posted by LuxFX
    My stats were very similar, and I got into the University of Chicago.
    What did you think of it there? I've heard a lot of good things and it looks like a great school...what can you tell me about their political science program?

Originally posted by Ultima Designs
    What did you think of it there [at University of Chicago]?
    The school is terrific. Winter in Chicago is a thing to behold, of course, but the school is amazing. Beautiful campus, beautiful location, amazing teachers, terrific opportunities. Chicago is a terrific city to be in, too. I definately miss Chicago (I live in Kansas City now).

The only problem I had with the school was that most of the classes seemed more theory-based than hands-on. I ended up majoring in cinema (they had just started offering it when I got there), and when I say more theory than hands-on I mean that we didn't do anything with cameras, just discussed other people's work. With poli-sci that probably won't matter too much

Poli-sci is a pretty big program there. The closest I came to the program was the first day of the second quarter of my first year when I walked into a high-level poli-sci class by accident, looking for my civ class. They were so far beyond my understanding it was 35 minutes before I realized I was in the wrong class.

Anyway, I highly recommend it. Warning: this school kicks your butt. Seriously. It is a difficult school, and last I heard it has the second highest suicide rate among US schools. But the rewards are tremendous. For instance, something like 17 nobel prizes for economics have gone to UofC alumni/faculty/etc. Also, this year UofC grad students received more Fulbright scholarships than any other school -- for the 18th year in a row. Even other highly acclaimed schools are happy if one or two of their students gets it. This year 23 UofC students won it -- 68% of those who applied.

Anyway, I should finish up or you'd think I recruited for UofC. No. I just miss it there.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

I'm going to UofC, starting this September.

Sounds like a great school. I'd take it over MIT anyday - MIT only gets you the Math and Science. If that's what you want, great, but keep in mind it's a specialized school, so if you change your mind and want to study something else you're better off elsewhere.

Originally posted by SubwayDesigns
    I'm going to UofC, starting this September.
    Congratulations!

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Originally posted by LuxFX
    Congratulations!
    Thanks! I'm really excited about it, everybody says so much good about it (myself included) - we'll just have to see if I survive the Winter

and congrats to you for surviving Dante's next level of Hell