dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Parsing swf to jpeg

Parsing swf to jpeg

Hi,

There's some good tools to include jpeg into swf, but I can't find anywhere a solution to do the otherway around.

I'm searching for a tool to dump each frames or a swf animation into a jpeg serie. There's also some tools to do this under windows, but I'm searching for a command line tool.

Is there anyway to simply redirect the output of the flash plugin to a file (that would be then worked out...)

Well, any idea would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Gis.

I would also like somthing like this, for the purposes of making image (gif, jpeg, or png, I dont care) thumbnails of flash animations for my site. All I want it to render as an image the first frame.

Grandmaster Flash
    I asked the same question in this forum, but nobody replied. Check out Flash Turbine 7 website - they are producing a plug-in to do this - coming soon apparently.

HTH
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hi,

it is not exactly impossible if....

Now, suppose you were making this kind of tool and trying to sell it, what should it do? Would it just display first frame (that might be the preloader in many movies) or all frames played?
    Would it just display animations created with the flash design tools, or should it also render actionscripted animations?

You will likely arrive at nothing less than flashplayer.

Musicman

Grandmaster Flash
    Good point.

I would imagine that one would be able to control which frame is used to produce the export. However, I'm sure it would have to support all the features of Flash Player, so that any dynamic movie clips, etc are rendered correctly.

So, essentially the product would be Flash Player, but with the ability to export frames as bitmaps.

I made a small server-side application which runs the Flash Player OCX, loads your swf and then essentially screen-captures at the appropriate place. It is a bit clunky, but works.

GW
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.