A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Imported SWF's get skipped over...

Imported SWF's get skipped over...

Hi, and thanks for reading. So, has anyone had problems with child SWF's unloading themselves before they even start playing?

So-- I have a browser-type SWF, where it serves only as a menu for other SWF's. In it I have AS in the timeline to load certain SWF's. One is an intro, which should load in the first frame of the base SWF. The others are reached through a menu-- where buttons in the base SWF point to specific parts of the main timeline(where there's a transition animation, and then the child movies are loaded). I checked the tutorials and posts here, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my code. Running it on my machine yields no problems.

Code:
    |_o_|________|_______o|________o|__________o|...
    swf0___menu____swf1_____swf2_______swf3...
    (Yeah, something like that...)
    Running from the website, however, is a different story. When the base SWF loads, it sometimes skips the intro and goes straight to the menu. Same thing with the menu items-- they load the child SWF's, but using the navigator to switch from one child SWF to another dumps me back to the menu.

I think it has to do with the loading screens I've put at the front of each child SWF, because I never see them. Or maybe the navigation is going screwy because it wants all the child SWF's to be loaded fully before it starts working properly. I say that because I can refresh the page or wait a while and all the children will play out the way I intended them.

Any suggestions?
    blah.

you obviously have a lot going on here. we'd need to see the FLA or at least the code that is calling the child SWFs...

you shouldn't be having a problem with preloaders on child SWFs...I see that done all the time & have used it myself with no problem...

what is the code for one of the menu items that loads one of the child SWFs?

OK, I've got the main .swf. I guess you'll have to write up some dummy swf's with loading screens in order to see what I'm talking about.

Other notes: I just put this live on my website, and now it doesn't seem to be working at all. The intro is skipped over no matter how many times I press Rewind, and only lesson1.swf plays. The rest of the swf's that I point to just redirect to the movie browser.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Damnit, the zip file is still 8 megs. There's no way I'm going to be able to upload it without the server timing out. Sorry.

EDIT2: Here's the code for the preloader, anyway... there probably isn't enough info here for anyone to help me. "Interactive.swf" is the intro which is constantly getting skipped over(unless it's on my machine and it works almost every time-- sometimes I have to press "rewind" for it to show).
    Code:
    FRAME ONE
    loadMovie("interactive.swf", _root.stage);

FRAME TWO
    if(_root.stage._currentframe<_root.stage._totalframes){
    	gotoAndPlay(nextframe);
    }else{
    	_root.stage.unloadMovie();
    	gotoAndPlay("fadein");
    }

FRAME THREE
    gotoAndPlay(3);
    Last edited by Numbermind; 08-10-2004 at 11:02 AM.
    blah.

Screw it, here's a link to the swf that doesn't work. That's the best I can do for now.

http://www.quantafire.com/overview/movie/browser.html
    blah.

Well, I figured it was because the main .swf wasn't fully loading while the intro was loaded. So the intro tried to play in a movieclip that wasn't loaded yet. But I deleted the movieclip from the stage and created a createMovieClip command...

Still doesn't work.
    blah.

it seems to be working for me, but i am not sure if what i am seeing is correct, or not.

your SWF is 2.7 mb which is really big and also, you said in your post that you are loading something in the 1st frame. Flash will not begin playing until all of frame 1 is completely loaded, so unless frame one is like 2k, it's gonna take a minute to load.

try starting your movie from frame 2. Make frame one empty (on all layers).

see if they helps. if not, then try cutting down the SWF size.