A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loading html pages? please look

loading html pages? please look

Is there a way to open up a HTML page within a flash page? Basically i have a long list of links and other things my client game me in a word document and he wants it to be listed basically the way it is in the word document however flash textbox's seem to be very limited. I was thinking if I could just put all the stuff from word into a html page and then it load into the middle of my flash it would look fine. Just so you know what i mean by in the middle of the flash you can look at the site. www.geocities.com/ihrimtest/Home.html
    the top buttons load text into the middle the same way i would like for html to be loaded in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i didn't explain anything clear enough please ask questions. I kind of have a deadline so I need to get this rough draft ready.

Also, I find that a Flash MX textbox is very limited, how do I do things such as bullet points etc with it.

p.s. if this is better in another forum, could it please be moved?

yeah you can

just select your dynamic text box and then goto the properties window and click on the icon that looks like this "<>" this option renders the text as an HTML file

so you can format the text file in dreamweaver
    i dont do the males, because i used to be one.

wait.... this is soooo important thank you so much but i need a little more of a walkthrough of this... so i make the fla with the <> button clicked, then open the fla in dreamweaver?

cool..

ill talk you though it from the beginning.

create a dynamic text box, then change the variable name to something like "info" and then select "multiwrap" if its not yet selected and then select "<>" button. then with the text box selected modify > convert to symbol and choose to make it a movieClip doesnt matter what its called

with the movie clip selected on the main timeline bring up the actions panel and put this in:

onClipEvent (load) {
    loadVariables("info.htm", this);
    }
    then you can export this file.

next create a html document called "info.htm"

you can then format it however you want by adding things like links etc.

however right at the beginning of the file you must have (add this in code mode not design):

&stuff=
    save the document and place it in the same place as the swf file and run the swf.

enjoy, i'm crap at english (i blame the educational system) so ive included all the files for you to play with.

i'm pretty sure that there is some restrictions on the level of HTML that can be used, i think its basic HTML only but i'm not to sure i've never really done this before
    Attached Files Attached Files

hmmmm looks good only one big problem... colors don't seem to work and links don't seem to be underlined... how can i get it so someone knows they are links?

*strokes beard*

ok ok, i admit it...

i was a sucker and ignored my own warning about dreamweaver advanced formatting. you may verbally slap me.

see attached..
    Attached Files Attached Files

alright i'm basically done except i have a big problem right now... the textbox used to be on the main scene but now that it is in a movie clip my scrollbars dont work... the old code to make the textbox scroll was _level0.MainArea2.text1.scroll++;
    this is because of the fact that the whole .swf file was loaded into another swf but i don't know levels at all which makes it impossible for me to figure out what to change that code to. Any help is greatly appreciated. if you don't understand what i mean by being loaded into go to www.geocities.com/ihrimtest/Home.html and click on one of the top links to see the textboxes i am talking about.

ok i think i have an idea what you mean

let me recap, your scroll boxes dont work because the path to the box is different now...

however what i dont get is how you've linked the textboxes in, are they movieclips? or are they swf's that you've loaded into the main swf?

if they are movieclips to fix the problem is simple change the code to:

_level0.MainArea2.thing.text1.scroll++;
    with thing being the name of the movieclip...

dom

they are all seperate swfs.... *sobs* i have a feeling this makes it a whole lot harder...

yes, yes it does

i have an idea though

maybe you could delete the up and down arrows in the main swf and make the seperate text swf's a little bit bigger and add the arrows to it.

or you could convert them all to movieClips

let me know how it goes.

hey you don't have some kind of instant messenger do you? i think i need a real-time conversation and then i can send you the files so u understand or maybe e-mail would do...

i've pm'ed you my address