A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: nbdesignstudio.com review request

nbdesignstudio.com review request

Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to look at my personal portfolio. Let me know what you think either here or by dropping me a line on my contact page.

http://www.nbdesignstudio.com

I like the style and the colors. However the sounds are horrendous. Terribly distorted. Try something cleaner or up the export settings to give better quality to the sound. I like the rest of the site nice layout, easy enough to navigate. Good job overall
    "Shhhhh I have insomnia and Im trying to sleep it off."

thanks for the feedback. I never noticed any problem with the sound but I will look into it. thanks

fast, simple, clean design.

nice

i had no problems with sound?

i like the logo you did for ZAC (the black and white one)

I have never had, or heard a problem with the sound either.

thanks for the review

I love the colors, and I love the design! I don't see anything wrong with the sound either, except that it might surprise somebody not expecting it.

My only suggesting is to keep in mind that using frames can make it harder for some search engines to index your page, and hard for users to bookmark specific pages. But this is pretty nit-picky, many people don't worry about this kind of thing.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

It cant just be me....I checked again and still sounds were bad. Interesting.....
    "Shhhhh I have insomnia and Im trying to sleep it off."

has anyone else had problems with the sound?

Any feedback appreciated.

thanks

website feedback

Well ... I'm not particularly fond of the button sounds if that is what you mean. Everything else looks great in my opinion. I especially like the cracks and the scorched look.

Re: website feedback

Originally posted by bluefern
    Well ... I'm not particularly fond of the button sounds if that is what you mean. Everything else looks great in my opinion. I especially like the cracks and the scorched look.
    I agree that the cracks and the scorched look of the interface were done well... but when I look at this site I wonder why they were done at all... I don't think anyone would use the terms cracked/scorched/rusted/deteriorating/etc. to describe their company so I don't understand why those terms were applied as visual elements to this site. Just my opinion.

thanks for the thoughts.

I don't think that people think that way. It's not like its a car that they are buying where rust and cracks would actually be a sign of the cars quality. It's a design that is intentionaly meant to look all beet up. Whether i decided to make the site perfect and beautiful or distressed and beaten, the only thing that i see as mattering is if in the end it is what I had in mind. In this case it is. And I think that is what most people see not some hidden meaning behind the design. Although it is something that I had not thought about before, which is why im attempting to defend it.

thanks though. I certainly don't want to start anything over it. I do appreciate the feedback.

Originally posted by nate88

Although it is something that I had not thought about before
    If you are going to be involved with design/advertising/marketing you have to think this way...
    Last edited by NOWINNERS; 08-23-2004 at 07:32 PM.

I'll say just this and then Im done. here are two links that display this same rustic quality. I belive that both sites are incredibly well done and most likely effectively translate the talent of the individual or team of designers that built them. Yeah cracks and scorching may not suite a site about womans clothing but for a personal portfolio it certainly adds a graphical quality and interest.

the first link im sure your all familiar with. I don't think anyone would dare tell him that his rustic looking index page may turn away pontential clients.

http://www.pixelranger.com/

The second site is here:

http://www.zfort.com/\

anyway thats it.

His rustic(don't know if I would call it that) looking index page may turn away potential clients.

-Im done too.

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    I would have to agree with nate88 here. The idea behind adding grit, dents, scratches, and other types of damage is that it adds realism not only that but the grungy look is quite trendy right now I would have to give you this in reply to your previous comment which was "If you are going to be involved with design/advertising/marketing you have to think this way..." Well here is my reply, "If your going to be involved in design/advertising/marketing you need to be aware of current trends and traditional art techniques." As for the site itself I think it looks a little to Photoshop. You should really work on bringing out your shadows and adding some textures. With the exception of the top it also seems very plain and empty. Also the typography in the content area is rather ugly, its a given but you might try some pixel fonts and add some background to your headers so they are set off from the rest of the elements this in turn would help with that plain feeling.
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Originally posted by ZeroInspiration
    the grungy look is quite trendy right now
    whatever u say man... whatever u say

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    oh pastels and pixel fonts also
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Originally posted by eightamrock
    It cant just be me....I checked again and still sounds were bad. Interesting.....
    Sweet site! Sounds could be cleaner for sure.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

Im starting not to like these button sounds myself. I think I'll look around for something a bit more subdued.