dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Layout

New Layout

Check out the new layout for my site and let me know what you think. I used some AE for some effects so the file size is starting to get large any suggestions on how to get the size down would be appreciated.

http://www.rainydaymedia.com

boo YYAa
    "Shhhhh I have insomnia and Im trying to sleep it off."

Love the background w/ the shadowing..
    Not so sure about the header fonts - maybe its the "::" in front & behind them that makes it look a little "less professional". - just a personal opinion.

Good work on the page though.

Thanks I have to agree that the ::'s have to go. Would you suggest a different font I could use. Or a style for that matter. Thanks again

Market Monkey
    I would agree that the topic fonts are a pretty odd font. In some cases it makes them very difficult to read. I might suggest a very basic san-serif font like Univers or Helvetica. They dont have quite the personality, but they are a lot easier to read and tend to look a lot cleaner.

I also think that you dont need to dedicate so much space to your links. I would consider using some sort of navigation that can be scaled upward as you add more projects and such. I would also recommend that you include some more information on the site, like how you can be contacted, what services you provide, etc.

Also, your buttons for the news are huge. They are bigger then two lines of text! I think you can make them smaller and not as prominant.

Good luck.
    Nothing happens until someone sells something.

Market Monkey
    Drop it, N_R_D.

Drop what...he did a great job.....I do honestly like the site.....just being a smart ass

Unintentional. Thats all i can really say for myself. sorry

As for the rest thank you for the input I will change the headlines to something a little less robust. I agree with the arrow buttons as well. They are a bit over sized. Im thinking about changing the links to project navigation. Using scrolling thumbs to view different projects that I have done. All very good Ideas keep them coming. What do you all think of the smoke effects? A bit of overkill or tasteful?

Thanks again for the great input.

Also N_R_D I notice the effect on the current project text on your site. I have toyed with the code to make mine do that. Would you mind telling me how that is accomplished?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by eightamrock; 08-03-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Suggested changes have been made. I also changed around where the menu is going to be. Let me know what you think. The smoke effect seems to bog down the movie. I Reduce the size and quality of the smoke effect dramatically but its still about 162k animation. Down from 800k. Let me know if it feels bogged down on your end.

Thanks

yeah no worries........

it is done with, a text box, a mask and a movie clip the text is in......all the slider does is move the text box up or down and there is code on it that gives it the motion.......I gave give ya the code if ya want it...PM me

But the site does actually look really good

Thanks PM sent.

Still curious about how my AE effects are doing on everyone elses computer.

boo YAA

Que paso, que paso, vamos ahi? Don Ramon's Avatar
    those vapor animations run pretty smooth over here, i love em
    Drink milk!

I like everything except for the logo and the fonts. The fonts are definitely too soft for that design. They need to be more crisp looking.

Thanks for the feed back on the AE effects Im glad to hear that they are working.

As far as the fonts go I have toyed with changing them a few times. Do you think I need to darken them up or still just use a cleaner thinner font?? Also what is it about the logo that you dont like? Curious to hear your opinion.

Thanks Guys

Boo Yaa

Market Monkey
    I think visually, it would be a lot stronger if the fonts - and the logo - were much darker. Black, even. As it is, they just look washed out on the blue background.

I would also say that if you aren't totally committed to your logo design, that you toy around with it a bit more. The blocky form of it feels kind of unresolved and the arrangement of letterforms seems almost arbitrary.

A note on the fonts: You might try setting your titles as dynamic text, and see how the aliased text looks. I have a feeling that the sharper font will look a lot cleaner and professional.

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    I like it but I think you should ditch the scan lines in the content area they are a bit much. The after effects are a nice touch good job .
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Ok, soo this is what I have done so far.

I changed the fonts as suggested. Used a sharper font and thanks for the tip to make it aliased. I think it looks much cleaner now. The logo im not so set on So i think I will play with it a bit see what I can do.

I also played around with the layout windows. Removed the links window and converted it to a menu window. I still have some space to use for something else Im not sure what yet.

As for the scan lines they for the most part will be covered up in the main content area. If they still look as prominent as they do after I get some content up I will probably remove them. I would like to change them to more of convex glass effect anyway. Thanks for the great tips guys.

Let me know what you think with all the changes done so far.

Market Monkey
    I guess upon further reflection, I am a bit bothered by the logo placed in a box that says "logo". It seems a little demeaning, like the visitor of your site can't figure out that it is a logo. It might make more sense to integrate the logo into the layout a bit more. The way everything is arranged now, there isn't much organizational hierarchy as in everything appears to carry an equal weight of importance. See if you can move things around and divide up the area a little more practically. I also encourage you to try some greater use of color. Find a complementary or inverse of the blue you are using and use it as highlights on the site.

I do like the fonts a lot better for the headers. If I had one more thing to nit-pick at, I would say that the vertical bars on either side of the titles are a bit unnecessary. What if the titles were set in all caps?

Its coming along great. You'll have an awesome site by the time you are finished.

All great ideas and I will try to incorporate some of them while still working on the site espcially the color ideas. Im going to mess with the logo and see what I can pull off. The head lines have been the biggest topic on this site. I havent exactly figured out how i want to do them yet but Im sure with all the great ideas that you all have given me I will figure something out that works.

The layout was initially going to be a menuless layout so I wanted every thing to stand out and be noticed on entry of the site. But since now I am going to incorporate a menu I guess the layout can be toyed with. Any more suggestions are surely welcomed

And thanks for all the great stuff so far.

Made some changes. Text is 1000 times better. Let me know what you think. Still have some small issues to work out but would like to get an idea of were to go from here.

Thanks guys
    Sam