dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: -----> my new flash site, suggestions needed!

-----> my new flash site, suggestions needed!

Hi, I'm making a new site... the interface is pretty much done, and I am just starting the content.

you can access the site at:

http://www.aodesign.tk

or

http://www.xriod.com/anarchydesign

Software that I use is Adobe Photoshop CS and Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Pro.

I did the logo in photoshop, the font is AnArChY [obviously] and did the anarchy sign myself.

As for the buttons, the icons are from various places like www.wincustomize.com and www.xicons.com. I changed the hues of the icons to red and brought down the opacity a bit. The bubbles that the icons are in were done by me.

The paper graphic was also done by me in photoshop.

The rollover, rollout animations as well as the rest of the animations were done in Flash.

I use fonts from www.fontsforflash.com, they appear very clearly at 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600, but not so well at higher resolutions.

I have a script that detects flash , and detects screen resolution so that the site appears in a full-screen popup

I would gladly like to hear your suggestions, compliments, and critisism.

I am relatively new to photoshop (been using it for a year), but I have been using flash since the days of Flash 4.0 and have been learning actionscript.

Also, do you guys think I have talent? I'm going into high school next year (I'm 14 years old) and was thinking about helping out with the school site. I dont think I am very artistic, as I barely pass art in school every year-- but I am fairly knowlegable about the internet and computers.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edge Animation
    I'll go first.

I really like the site... somewhat original, quick-loading and easy to navigate. Looks pretty cool too!

The pen/eraser animations suit it well and are well done.

Suggestions:

There is some white around the image of the paper that you could probably clean up easily.

Perhaps you could change the background of your menu icons on the left to transparent, as sometimes they overlap.

Also, the window it loaded in wasn't fullscreen for me...
    I have a script that ... detects screen resolution so that the site appears in a full-screen popup
    The popup wasn't fullscreen, but that was a GOOD thing for me... it was the right size to display all the content - no need to go bigger than that, just annoys viewers!

Comments:

I also considered myself to have NO artistic talent whatsoever, and struggled through art in school just like you. When it comes to the computer, however, it's a whole new medium... just keep trying new things and believe me, you'll even suprise yourself with the kinds of things you can create.

I think you've got talent; I wish I was half as good at actionscript as you are ;-)... keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Apocalypse44; 08-09-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Hmm.... Clever title.....
    I took a quick look, and yeah, I think you've got some good potential. Trust me, there's people who are getting paid to do stuff that pales when compared to your site.

Once I heard that all it takes is 6 years to master something, anything, if you put enough time into it. I don't know how true that is, but I know art class isn't going to tell you anything about whether or not you have skills, or talent, so no worries there.

For the school site, you should post ugly pics of people you don't like.

thanks guys. the site only appears fullscreen if your resolution is set to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.