A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Nwebie - combining elements

Nwebie - combining elements

Hi,

I just downloaded the software and am trying before buying. Can anyone tell me how to combine elements?

I have a bitmap element and a text element & I would like to combine them - for movement.
    Thanks in advance

if you want to move them together easiest thing to do is put them on a "layer" otherwise use a child movie then they can be animated seperatley within the child movie.

Thanks - that was easy. I was looking for some command like 'Group', 'UnGroup'

Spoke too soon

I lost the typing animation that was part of the text. When I put the bitmap and the text into a new layer, I no longer have the text animation. How do I do this.

Is there a tutorial? Will I get it when I buy the software (the help file is worfully inadequate)?

Sorry no tutorials included nor much support anymore but we here on the forum try to help.

You want to put a animated text and a bitmap together right?

http://bretlanius.com/flash/simplechildanimation.htm

Thanks - I saw what you did - probably did something like that; only I want a bit more sequence. as below:

1. Show a picture.
    2. Type some text into the picture - using typing effect
    3. Move the picture and the typed (completed) text along a path.

I tried the child movie as you had. the typing happens the same time as the move - even though I check the hourglass that says Wait till Finished.

Then I tried having another image with the text already in it, which can move. Only I am not able to hide the movie after it is shown.

If there is no manual, or tutorial - is it expected that you are already some sort of expert before you buy the software?

Ok what you want to do will require you first select advanced mode. And will require a little scripting.

Hmm easiest thing to do would be to use a child on a layer then. Make the text animation a child movie on a layer. set it to stop until played. In the main movie script either in a button or event or whatever you play the text animation with syntax something like

element("layer name").childname.movie.play()

something like that.

I'm trying here. Seems this would be easier somehow doesn't it.

Maybe some one else will have an idea.