A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bitmap quality

ok.
    I have some films in which I have to animate bitmaps.
    they're in png format.
    when I animate a bitmap (particular when rotating) the frames in the *.swf gets jerky and pixillated. I tried every bitmap settings in flash, lossless, high quality and such. nothing seems to work.
    is there a way of improving the quality, use some other format maybe?, other export-settings?
    I tried to export mov's and avi but the result is the same in these formats as well.
    no, vectorizing them wont do, and yes I need to animate bitmaps...

Bin Laden And Co.
    Have you tried increasing the resolution of the bitmap?

Sounds like a CPU crunch to me. Anytime you take complex objects and tween them, you increase your chances to get choppy animation. How large are the individual PNG files? Maybe a compressed JPG would work better?

its not the animation that gets choppy, its the bitmaps in the inbetweens that gets distorted, which is clearly seen when i export an avi and look at it frame by frame. and its not the resolution of the bitmap, if you use a larger bitmap and then scale it down you get a very bad image (in flash), the contrasts get extremly high and the picture gets quite distorted...
    any other solutions?

Beyond the Sea

what kind of animations? Scale? Alpha?

Any time you scale or distort an image in flash it's gonna look crappy, no matter what you do. It's the nature of the beast. Are you exporting to AVI? Do you have any video editing software like after effects or somesuch? I would say do the image manipulation in another software package and composite them together...if possible...

Otherwise, you may need to re-do it without manipulating the bitmaps...

sorry,
    Rich