A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: problems making a simple email form in flash

problems making a simple email form in flash

Ok hi dudes!!
    ok ive worked with flash for quite awhile but have never done a simple email for where you can send email..
    ive downloaded afew open source files from net but cant get anything to work..i know nothing about php or perl or cgi bin stuff..

all i would want is a form where the viewer if he or she wants to send email it would ask:

NAME

email address

and then you could leave message

SEND button RESET Button

Anyhow im abit confused why all this Perl, PHP stuff has to be involved,,is it not possible just to have this info sent..like an email..just using Outlook and flash..

Basically i have tried to test afew templates out by just adding my own email address as the Recipient in the actionscript and then testing movie in flash and filling out one of these email forms and trying to send email to myself to see if it works..but it does'nt...

Once of the open source files i have says this in the instruction attached mail with the FLA:

Flash to Email example using modified version of Matt's FormMail.pl script.

1. Copy the flashformmail.pl to your server cgi-bin folder, chmoded to 775 or 755

2. Edit the variables in the FLA file.

3. Publish the movie and enjoy

Feel free to use it whenever you need to.
    YOu can just copy/paste the entire movie into your own flash movie, you can edit
    its apearance and behaviour as you wish to.

It is just a Flash - XML - Perl example for creating FlashToEmail form on your site.

vena@venata.net
    ----------------------------------------------------------

anyhow do i have a Cgi Bin what is this..??? im just a little lost as i dont know coding well and am not familiar with any of this techy stuff...

whats the best and easiest form to modify??

Many thanks!!!

chris
    Last edited by chrischampagne; 08-14-2004 at 02:41 PM.