A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stand Alone Player

Stand Alone Player

I need to distribute some Autorun CD's containing marketing content, I want to use flash but I dont want it to play in a web browser, it would look much better if it would run in a stand alone player. Is there anyway that I can make sure that the people I send it to will be able to use it? In other words, how can I make sure that a stand alone player gets installed when they put the CD in? Is this even possible?

Re: Stand Alone Player

Originally posted by felix2241
    how can I make sure that a stand alone player gets installed when they put the CD in?
    You CAN'T !
    You need to export your work as EXE file (SA Flash Player included).

That's what I was afraid of. Can you export from Kool Moves in exe format

That's what I was afraid of. Can you export from Kool Moves in exe format
    Don't be sad.
    There're many (freeware) SWF to EXE converters.
    One of the best: http://buraks.com/swifty/ (Swifty Batch Projector Creator)

Thanks!!!!!! That was so easy. Once again I am in debt to your supreme wisdom

Once again I am in debt to your supreme wisdom
    Ohhh ... please ... don't kill me yet (I'm too young ... LOL).
    Don't forget about Johnie (this guy is more like a ghost),Hilary,Wilbert,Tim,Joe and many many others.

p.s.
    BOB H is not on that list,because he is a bad guy (I'm waiting for a "KM symbol-library" since I was a child ...)

Is there a script that opens a URL in a new browser window from the stand alone player?

PS I agree, bob is a bit slow and totally unhelpful!!!!

getUrl("url"[,window[,variables]]);

The Buracks tool requires that a standalone player be installed on the machine. If you have XP home the XP Demo is a standalone player- Nifty.

There are still other free convertors out there though.

If you want to fork over a few dollars get either MMBuilder ($45) mediachance or MMFusion ($99) clickteam. Both can embedd Flash.

SWF Studio ($139) Northcode, also is a good buy if you want to make .Exe

Something to consider here... Not everyone is using Windows. Worldwide the percentage is 5%-7% worldwide for non-window users. The amount of non-windows users is higher in many countries. Even within the US several companies have switched off of Windows and some, like print/design never went to Windows (A lot of them still use Macs). A web page with SWF on the CD would be usable by all users...

LiquidMedia www.liquidmedia.net $200 also supports SWFs. Your final work can be published as an EXE. There is also an option (never tried it) for converting your presentation or parts of it to AVI or QuickTime movie formats.

techuser

Runtime Revolution is the only one of these that I have seen that is truly cross platform, (MAC, Linux, Unix, Solaris, Windows, Ect). It is expensive though.

Revolution used to have several levels, but it looks like they are moving to only two (maybe three). The Express is for only 1 platform, but if you later updgrade, you can compile your files to a second platform. If Studio is still available, you choose 2 platforms that you can compile to. If you choose Enterprise, you can compile to all the supported platforms. So if you want t go with at least 2 platforms, it'll cost you ~$300.

Be sure to download a trial and test it to se if it can handle your specific needs. It has been notoriously weak on printing capabilities, and like most authoring tools, does not do a stellar job of displaying text effects or handling RTF. A big plus is the Transcript scripting language. Once you play with it, it is really great to script in something close to English syntax.

techuser

Yup, they have changed how the sell it. Like I said it is expensive.

It does allow embedding of SWF though, I tested it a couple of years ago.

QT can also directly convert SWF and also play it. The same is true of Real (All Platform versions). The downside of Quicktime is that there is no Unix/Linux versions.

I find this odd as OSX is Posix and Unix One compliant as it is based on a variant of BSD. There is a project to make KDE and Gnome run on Darwin (The core of OSX licensed under the APL- Apple Public License). Perhaps Apple is holding off waiting for a GNU/Darwin system to take over the place of Linux?

The other downside to QT is that it requires some level of programing OO (QT Java) knowledge to fully utilize it or you have to purchase another tool to customize it (if you lack the programing skills).

The upside is that it is inexpensive and runs on MAC and Windows.
    Last edited by johnie; 08-22-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Member Of Juniorness
    is it just me thats noticed flash SA can export an exe from itself?
    open your file and chose 'file', 'create projector'.
    add an autorun.inf file to your cd, and your done.

Ahhh, and there is the rub. Where to get the Flash SA player. If you haven't installed the MM Flash Editor you will need to get a copy somewhere.

Each projector file you create can also be used by dragging your SWF into the projector. It then unlocks it and you can make new projectors files as the menu unlocks.

Originally posted by johnie
    Ahhh, and there is the rub. Where to get the Flash SA player. If you haven't installed the MM Flash Editor you will need to get a copy somewhere.
    Just install the Flash MX 2004 Trial.
    Copy & paste the SAFlashPlayer.exe file into another folder.
    That's yours ... ha ha ha

Member Of Juniorness
    Originally posted by johnie
    you could get a copy from the macromedia site, but i cant find a link to the pc version.

Maybe you'll find that for which you seek here:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/...ad/alternates/

techuser

Originally posted by techuser
    Maybe you'll find that for which you seek here:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/...ad/alternates/

techuser
    Those aren't the SA Players but the browser players. You have to downlaod the full version of MX Trial to get the SA Player on your machine if you are getting it from Macromedia.

They offer a Beta Version of the Linux SA Player.