A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They wanted tropical

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem

They wanted tropical

The only menu item completed is river history and then click the early river history. Lots of indians, palm trees and gators will populate this site.

http://www.rkirby.com/2/
    Last edited by theswedishtiger; 08-28-2004 at 12:12 AM.
    Life is just a bunch of swf's

Mr Snowman
    is it that bad that no one wants to review it?

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    I really think you need to work on the colors and layout presentation. Im not trying to be mean when I say this so please really take it for what it is. The layout and feel of both the sites leave quit alot to be desired as far as looks go. I just dont find them appealing at all and I think others would have a similar problem. The splash looks very nice, I would even go as far to say professional but then you get to the site itself and well... I think you need to take it back to the drawing board and make something that compliments that splash screen.
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Mr Snowman
    I should have explained, my apologies, the page you are looking at is the intro to the kids page. The adults page will be along the lines of the splash page.

Does this change your opinion. Thanks for the feedback by the way, and the trouble you took to look at it.

on the opening page the text with really bad resolution you might wanna change, the red lighthouse looks off for some reason, the trees in background have some weird white crap around them and the mouseover animations are very choppy, nice looking site though, i don't think i could do any better...
    mmm signature

website reply

Referring to the "kids section" on this website, I think you should replace the yellow background color with some sort of orange color since you have a tropical theme.

As for the intro page, I don't like the orange patterned background. It does not feel tropical to me either. When I think of tropical I think of Hawaii. But with your picture, I think of Maine for some reason. Maybe it is the lighthouse. Try removing it or using another picture perhaps.

Also, why not give the intro page pictures more color. The color that you chose makes the pictures feel ... old? These comments may seem cruel, but I'm just trying to help.

like they told me

Well like they told me over at UltraShock.com when i had a site of mine reviewed

"you can't polish a turd... you need to do a re build of the site"

I am passing this good advice on to you... i know it hurts to hear and i understand cause i was there.. i was upset and thought they were just being mean.. but now that i have seen the light and have corrected the error of my ways i can open my mind and see what others see...

bla bla bla .. anyway start over before you get in to deep...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

Mr Snowman

You must be all right in your opinion

OK, I guess I did not see as it being that bad. Which is a shame as I put a lot of work into it. I will come up with a new design.

Strange thing is that the customer is extremely happy. I just fear that the customer will be happy and then, based on your comments, have others say they hate it.

I feel crushed by your comments and have taken them quite to heart. I will work on an alternative design and post it on this board when done.

website feedback

Well, if the client likes the site, then I would just leave it as it is. Because in the end, they are the ones who you want too be happy. But, it's up to you.

Mr Snowman
    BlueFern. You missed my point. Although the client may be happy now, it would seem enough people really dislike it, that in the end that kind of feedback would reach her and she will end up being unhappy with the site.

Re: You must be all right in your opinion

Originally posted by theswedishtiger
    OK, I guess I did not see as it being that bad. Which is a shame as I put a lot of work into it. I will come up with a new design.

Strange thing is that the customer is extremely happy. I just fear that the customer will be happy and then, based on your comments, have others say they hate it.

I feel crushed by your comments and have taken them quite to heart. I will work on an alternative design and post it on this board when done.
    If the client is happy the forget what i said and make the client happy.. i mean eventhough the awsome webdesigners over at ultrashock.com told me that i still kept the design and went with what the client wanted...
    THE LINK
    The client was a woman and when you can get a client that is a woman to say "I like it .. lets keep it" you better stop what you doing and go with it... i remember the last thing that one of the designer over there told me
    "If the client is happy then you have no problem"
    so I took that and when with the design... and although she is slow about getting the content on the site she is still inlove with the design...

anyway the client comes first and my comments don't even figure into the equation:

if (client is happy)

{else}

>wha't { I ]
    } say/-{
    }don't{
    {matter}

{
    ----------------------

i love yall

yo main man lenny

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    Your asking designers what they think and thats always something to keep in mind but in the end its about what the client wants. You will always have to stuggle with that in this industry. I have done serveral sites recently where the client wanted crap so I gave them crap, I might have been extreamly unhappy with the final product but in the end I got paid and thats what its all about. In cases like that I usually dont use it for a portfolio piece and most of all I dont put in a designed by link either .
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Mr Snowman
    I have put up a design for the adults, click the DSL connection tab to veiw it.

website feedback

I like the adult section.

i like that

Yea i like the section for adults... you are putting a lot of work into this site.. i got to give you props. for that...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

Re: like they told me

Originally posted by FTBWEBDESIGN
    Well like they told me over at UltraShock.com when i had a site of mine reviewed

"you can't polish a turd... you need to do a re build of the site"

yo main man lenny
    sorry that was funny.

I think your using the title fonts because YOU like them, they totally don't suit. You have a few style going on here, and I'm not sure if they really work well together.

IMO

1: historical.... uhmmm..mining theme?? dunno maybe old history on farmers??

2: Welcome to Jack's Hack's Carnival of terror...., the fonts...

3: No tropical flair

You should maybe do a little reasearch on hotel sites with tropical destinations.

Lots of happy bright warm colors!!!

cheers good luck!

Last edited by skitzofrantic; 08-23-2004 at 02:38 AM.
    Yeah Yeah, It was someone
    else... I swear I didn't do it, and that goes for me too!

Mr Snowman
    1: historical.... uhmmm..mining theme?? dunno maybe old history on farmers??

// not sure how to respond to that one, with two pictures of lighthouse and none of mines or farmers, I think the comment is a little unfair.

2: Welcome to Jack's Hack's Carnival of terror...., the fonts.../

it's from Florida Fruit Cases, more particulary, from the Orange Cases used in the area.

3: No tropical flair

Yes, I agree, two palm trees will appear, to help this out.

You have a few style going on here
    Again work needs to be done here. The font used for the text is too small and not suited. It will probably end up being the same as the sub-header font. Need to advise from the customer on this one.

Interesting site. It needs more animation, and those clouds are rather cliché these days. However, it has a lot of potential.

I would take the movie that is now on the postcard, improve it, and make that the main background movie. Then take that washed out looking main photo and stick that in the postcard.

I think there is alot of creative and useful stuff here that could maybe just be rearranged a little differently to better effect.

Cool site.

I have to agree with admedia... I think the site has alot of potential. I really like the stamp/photo interface and I like the menu and the moving pics at the bottom corner. I definitely would NOT start over... but there are a few things you could change.

Suggestions:
    1. Change the background color maybe to a light brown or something along those lines.
    2. Maybe add a pattern to the background.
    3. Clean up the border of the interface to look more realistic
    4. Create some transition for the menu... its too abrupt
    5. Change the loadbar... the lighthouse loader although a great idea looks kinda cheesy.

Thats just my 2 cents.