A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Client's Site

Client's Site

Please check this site I made for a client to promote her new book. I'm already aware of the ridiculous mixture of fonts and that will be taken care of once I can convince her that copying and pasting her text from a Word document isn't a good idea. I'm not 100% satisfied with it. She really loves it, but she's not a designer so she wouldn't understand. She likes it simple, but I need to know what does it need? Or doesn't? Thanks.

The site is www.crenewest.net/main.html

Ryan Wilson
    Creative Director
    3rd Lounge Inc
    http://www.3rdlounge.com

Feedback on site

Overall your site is very nice.Most I like your site's Welcome Animation. If you keep sound in this site than I think it will become very decent.

www.designerunderground.co.uk
    Nice site. I think you could add a name or logo above the navigation - Its not clear what the site is about at first glance as the background image is quite faint.
    Also, maybe an opportunity to do a page turning animation like on http://www.wwd07.com/
    Can you point me in the direction of a scroll bar like that as I'm after one quite similar.
    You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis.

It's funny you should mention that. She actually mentioned that, but my skills are limited in that field. I'm going to see if I can find someone to teach me. As for the scrollbar, it is basically made up of multiple instances which can be edited accordingly. If you use Flash MX, use their component scrollbar and then edit it to the desired colors. That's how I made mine. As for the site above. I think that site is amazing. I love everything about it. It's unique and has a different approach. Especially with the birds.

Ryan Wilson
    Creative Director
    3rd Lounge Inc

www.designerunderground.co.uk
    Can't remember where this is from or whether there was a tutorial, but if you wanted to give it a crack, take a look at the attached. It's quite time consuming but really not that difficult to make.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis.

wow

you client has some rather large... ummmm books she writes... yea thats what i ment... anyway.. was there suppose to be a loader on the site.. i have a 56k and i did not see a loader... but hey everything loads up slow for me.. anyway just curious...

i love yall

yo main man lenny

Nice work ryanw, I do have a few comments though. Your intro looks good, however I think I would tighten up the tweens a bit (I have issues with long range text tweens, I'm getting help for it and should be ok with tharapy) and I'm not feelin the skew/sheer effect you have on the book and the big C. Also, the explainer text below your buttons seems a little redundant. You did a good job labeling your interface, there's no need for the extra text.

It seems like it's loading a new flash movie with every section, is that true? it's just the way your interface and background dissapear and tween back in every time. you probly already know about this, but maby you should think about useing lvls, like with loadmovienum()

all in all, nice work, it loaded fast, and I didn't notice any bugs. sweet.

oh, for the record, serif text tends to look a little blurie on screen, especially that small, and can cause eye strain and that sort of thing. Works great for print, not so great on screen, I'm a big verdana fan myself

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    Its a little plain for my taste but thats just me. I think one thing you could do is get a good background image something like old wall paper might do the trick. Its just not my thing its an alright site but I think its very low end with low visual appeal. Alot of that might be fixed with something other than that blarring red but who knows. But if she loves it shes loves it thats always the most important thing.
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Thanks for the comments. All the criticism is very constructive and I appreciate that.
    ojc1, I'll be sure to try out that page turning animation tutorial you sent, thanks.
    FTB, guess what. That lady happens to be my girlfriends mom. lol
    p80, I'll definetly get rid of those text labels and I'm aware of loading external movies within a Flash file, but by the time I actually understood it, the site was already finished. However, I did attempt it on another site that I'm doing. Maybe you can help me with a specific problem I'm having with it. Thanks everyone. This has definetly made me relook things a lot.

Ryan Wilson
    Creative Director
    3rd Lounge Inc