A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: compression

compression

what sort of compression tools do you guys think they use on these videos.

http://www.khfilms.com/kh.cfm

They are of extremely good quality have good sound and load very fast. I'm generally a nubie when it comes to video in flash. I find sorenson spark inadequite. Even if i import an uncompressed vid at 200+ meg and keep quality at 100% the final outcome is usualy somewhat pixelated and not particularly small in size usually 20 megs. The films on this site can't be much larger than 4 or five megs if that, but are larger and cleaner than anything i've ever managed to create. Any comments?

Media Services
    There is million of combinations for your encoding parameters. You really need to understand some basics efore you start working in video in flash.

Each parameter depands on your video purpose and dynamics. Also there is different way to deliver video for streaming and progresive download.

Macromedia is working hard to bring you the best resources in that area. Visit their site (video section) at the beginning of next month. Special section about encoding techniques should be up by then.

Just to give you some advice..since those clips dimmensions ar not that big you can try to use 700-1000 kbps combined datarate, 1 pass Baseline, with 60-80 keyframe value.

This should get you nice quality clip
    Good luck.

thanks for the info. it was really helpful. does anyone know any good web resources or books that deal with this topic. I'm really confused i just exported another video (with alot less movement in it ) and it compressed it to 1.6 mb and it looks really great. i'm not sure how i did it. what is the keframe bar that you can adjust in the regular sorenson spark

Media Services
    You can also post your question on VIDEO HELP forum.
    There is few more specific sections related to Video in flash and encoding issues:

» Video Help Forum

and short article about encoding process:
    » FLV Encoding process

Beginning of next month Macromedia will launch new section of their site as well, This will be dedicated to encoding techniques for streaming and progressive download.

I'm preparing part of this article as well and few live samples. Please visit Macromedia site next month.
    Last edited by PROXUS; 08-25-2004 at 11:56 AM.

excellent resource thank you very much!