A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLASH KIT going flash?

FLASH KIT going flash?

When is flashkit.com going to go FLASH?

Every reason I can come up with not to go this route has a pretty direct objection.

Any thoughts? Or does anyone have inside information?

2.08Ghz AMD Athalon XP - 333Mhz FSB - 2.02Gb RAM - DUAL 19" Flat Screen (Graphics Series)

You mean, a Flash driven forum? If so, no.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Thanks for the descriptive reply.

Any thoughts on why not?
    2.08Ghz AMD Athalon XP - 333Mhz FSB - 2.02Gb RAM - DUAL 19" Flat Screen (Graphics Series)

cause Flash ain't up to the task! (but don't tell anyone...I mean...this is the premier Flash forum)

Originally posted by XcVbSdRw
    cause Flash ain't up to the task! (but don't tell anyone...I mean...this is the premier Flash forum)
    Anyone else disagree with this statement?

Surely there is enough talent in these forums to com up with a solution to the problems plaguing this type of project.

But why pour all of the time and resources into fixing something that really doesn't by any means need fixed?

when google can seach and link directly into flash, and not instances, but deep link, then it'll be possible.

but not at this moment.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

functionality is the capital word here.

flash runs better or worse depending on the user's computer, while a plain hmtl/php webpage as it is now doesn't. it just needs a 56k modem.

just need to look at theory7 flash forums. very stylish yeah, but i cannot access them using my old computer. unless i fancy torture.

say no to flash for everything. flash is the solution to many things, but not to every single webproject.
    the fact that flashkit doesn't run on flash says a lot about the admins and their level of knowledge about the application.
    and don't think i like starkey
    Last edited by nayades; 08-25-2004 at 08:32 PM.

Originally posted by gerbick
    when google can seach and link directly into flash, and not instances, but deep link, then it'll be possible.
    if that's the only reason, then i think i'll stop visiting flashkit when the time comes

Originally posted by Ultima Designs
    But why pour all of the time and resources into fixing something that really doesn't by any means need fixed?

LOL

Well, i guess you're right! From now on when I client tells me that I'll be sure to put my tail between my legs and run the other way!

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Flashkit now. I was just thinking that with all the advancements Macromedia has made with dynamic development... and all the talented developers who have successfully created updateable flash forums.... "FLASH" kit might be a good candidate for such evolvement.

Did you guys think that Flashkit would ALWAYS look just like this? Don't you think that future members will need something different to draw them in?

And when this inevitable redesign occurs (AS EVERY WEBSITE HAS ONE) Don't you think it would be odd if it didn't utilize flash as it's primary architecture?

(breath)

I believe this is impossible until Flash supports dynamic loading of GIFs, as several shovels I like to use in response to dumb comments are in GIF form.

Flash also hates having to deal with lots of text.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by teaseason
    Don't you think it would be odd if it didn't utilize flash as it's primary architecture?
    the odd thing would be it is flash based... at least from my point of view.

Originally posted by nayades
    if that's the only reason, then i think i'll stop visiting flashkit when the time comes
    that's not the only reason. that was the best one I could think of at the moment. your list is also good.

flash just would be slower than PHP, imho, for a site on the size of flashkit.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    that's not the only reason. that was the best one I could think of at the moment.
    roger that

Originally posted by nayades
    usability is the capital word here.

flash runs better or worse depending on the user's computer, while a plain hmtl/php webpage as it is now doesn't. it just needs a 56k modem.

just need to look at theory7 flash forums. very stylish yeah, but i cannot access them using my old computer. unless i fancy torture.
    why would "we" as the demographic of users that have the knowledge and ability to create these flash experiences utilize an old machine (that we wouldn't use to develope a site) to VIEW a site? Especially a site that is specifically designed as a resource for those who develop complex user experiences?

I confess I have an older machine lying around the office, i use it for word documents and as a print server.

PS- you're right about the google point though

two words, "after-shock" (ok one word but you know what I mean)

Saying FK should be flash based is like saying prisons should be built by prisoners, or train tracks should be built by engineers.

bandwith is also a problem.

So what's wrong with aftershock?

As an additional note, FlashKit is run by the JupiterNetwork, so any radical new changes won't happen. The site is running of vBulletin tech, and it's working well. There isn't any advantage with going all Flash.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by teaseason
    Well, i guess you're right! From now on when I client tells me that I'll be sure to put my tail between my legs and run the other way!

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Flashkit now. I was just thinking that with all the advancements Macromedia has made with dynamic development... and all the talented developers who have successfully created updateable flash forums.... "FLASH" kit might be a good candidate for such evolvement.

Did you guys think that Flashkit would ALWAYS look just like this? Don't you think that future members will need something different to draw them in?

And when this inevitable redesign occurs (AS EVERY WEBSITE HAS ONE) Don't you think it would be odd if it didn't utilize flash as it's primary architecture?

(breath)
    The functionality of vBulletin is incredible, and there is absolutely no need to implement anything different. When you do work for a client, you do it because it is an improvement. Upgrading to a Flash forum isn't necessarily an improvement, especially with today's technologies and with the many downsides that these people have pointed out.

No one ever suggested that they think that Flash Kit will always look like this. However, based upon current standards, this website is where it needs to be, and again, migrating to a Flash board is not necessarily an upgrade at all.

When the "inevitable" redesign occurs, if the time is right for a Flash forum (as in, the problems that have been pointed out and many others have been addressed), then perhaps utilizing Flash as the primary architecture would be worthwhile.