A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Bible Questions

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Originally posted by alty29
    only way to really get the answers is to read the bible..now go read it...now.
    Read the first post.. these are questions I got after reading the bible?

Dumb Question: 4 (sorry I stole this from Homer Simpson)

Could god microwave a burrito so hot that not even he could eat it??

You read the bible, had questions, and sought guidance from the lounge?

Carry on my wayward soooon....
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    You read the bible, had questions, and sought guidance from the lounge?
    Carry on my wayward soooon....
    I read the bible because as an atheist I think it is smarter to know what you don't believe in before claiming you don't believe in it.

Unfortunately many christians believe in the bible without ever reading it or know what it's about.

No guidance is being sought.. just questions??

Question 5:

Did you know the bible has dirty song lyrics. Check out Psalms, there are ones about lovers doing/touching naughty things.

hmmm...
    Could you give a verse reference?

Did you know the bible has dirty song lyrics. Check out Psalms, there are ones about lovers doing/touching naughty things.
    Yes I'd love to see the reference, Give us the Chapters and verses.

Tony

Answer #1: So basically Jesus was trying to build a hype about himself?

Next dumb question:

Genesis 1:3
    and god said "Let there be light; and there was light"

If man wasn't yet created, IE: He was created on day 6. How did we hear what god said?

Maybe off topic, but Genesis 2:7 "the lord formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life"

Is that where the term "God bless you" comes from when people sneeze??
    So what are you reading first, The Gospels? or the Hebrew Scriptitures (OTO?

The Genesis account of creation was given to Moses by God after the Exodus fronm Egypt.

As to your second question........who knows? and if you are reading the bible to get some real meaning into life, why we are here and where we are going......you wont care either...

Tony

Unfortunately many christians believe in the bible without ever reading it or know what it's about.
    But if everyone was atheist we would have barely any paid holidays.

not true. matters on where you're at. I've taken a month off and gotten paid. nothing religious about it.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Flipshark

If you wanna know more about the things of God.

I recommend you this site: www.awmi.net

Bible commentary, almost verse by verse (new testament)
    http://www.awmi.net/lft/navigation/books.html

GREAT Teachings
    http://www.awmi.net/radio_m.html

The teaching I like more:
    http://www.awmi.net/audio/teachings/set1027ra.html

I hope it helps you and more people as it helps me.
    http://www.vectormedia.com.br
    Multimedia Designer

one more thing

it doesn't matter how much you keep on reading the Bible.

you'll only find out the truths and secrets behind every word when you have faith in what you read and when you truly wants to know God.

besides that, it is just a book with confusing words.

not even all christians can understand the entire Bible. It is needed effort, desire, faith, love, etc.
    Last edited by Vector Media; 08-30-2004 at 09:25 PM.
    http://www.vectormedia.com.br
    Multimedia Designer

it's 'cygnet', really.
    Originally posted by Vector Media
    one more thing

it doesn't matter how much you keep on reading the Bible.

you'll only find out the truths and secrets behind every word when you have faith in what you read and when you truly wants to know God.

besides that, it is just a book with confusing words.

not even all christians can understand the entire Bible. It is needed effort, desire, faith, love, etc.
    ...then what?

Originally posted by flipshark
    I read the bible because as an atheist I think it is smarter to know what you don't believe in before claiming you don't believe in it.
    You obviously read it so you could intelligently argue it with Christians that, "claim to follow the teachings of Christ"

The reality is, nobody (well VERY few people) follow the "True teachings of Christ" If they did, they would live a life of poverty and be devoted entirely to the church. Especially not these celebrities that sport the gold and diamond covered crosses. Yeah - I'm sure Jesus had some Bling Bling!!

For many, being Christian is just a way of covering yourself. It's like betting on Red and Black. In case there is an after life they want to get into the party. But until then, they will drink, indulge and fornicate with no regard...This is why only 25% of Christians attend church regularly. And even less donate money to their parrish.
    Those that attend church only on Christmas and Easter - Yep, just covering numbers....
    Last edited by asun2art; 08-31-2004 at 01:35 AM.

But then there are also Millions of Christians worldwide who try to live by the Bibles principles, without going to extremes of poverty and "living on love".

And who are active and frequent attenders of their church.

PS: I question the reason why Flipshark posted this as well.

Tony

I have no problem with Flippy posting this, regardless of his motives. So far the thread has been clean, good information being offered up. It just seems now some people are trying to stir up some trouble; if you think he's baiting, don't bite.

I'd like to ask a question of my own I've often wondered about (if Flippy will excuse the mild hijack away from the Bible): if you truly believe that there is a God, if you know it in your heart of hearts, how can you do anything other than become a priest or similar religious figure?

I've always wondered about the people I meet who express this unflinching belief in God, yet spend their days in the rat race trying to get that promotion and raise like everyone else. If you truly feel that you know the purpose of life, know that you are supposed to live as your particular religion spells out, how can you not do so to the absolute letter of what you say you believe?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Originally posted by XU1
    But then there are also Millions of Christians worldwide who try to live by the Bibles principles, without going to extremes of poverty and "living on love".

And who are active and frequent attenders of their church.

PS: I question the reason why Flipshark posted this as well.

Tony
    First, I don't think anyone out there could take any offense to what I posted. I asked a question, if I got an even somewhat plausible answer I moved on. I didn't question your beliefs or your understanding, nor did I try and change it, I just wanted to make sure you did have some understanding.

Second, my motives are simple. People should know what, and understand what, they are believing in. If I said "I am an atheist... but I do believe in a creator god" I would sound like an idiot wouldn't I? I think everyone could guess where I am going so I'll stop here.

Anyway back to the questions.

My beloved put in his hand by the hole of mine door, and my bowels were moved for him.
    -- Song of Solomon 5:4 (AV)

This is one song.. I do have other but this is g-rated.

Question #6:

If Jesus is so peaceful why did he encourage war?? In other words why did he encourage people to fight for his love.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother..." Matthew 10:34-35

Basically he says to turn against/kill anyone who doesn't beleive in him.

Question #7:

Freedom of choice.. Sorry I stole this question from another forum.

God says we have the freedom to choose, and whether we love him or not; it is our choice. But, if after a certain age we choose not to love him. He casts us to the fires of hell and lets us burn for eternity.

Now lets say your father, king, president, Saddam, etc. Told you you had to choose by a certain age whether or not you loved/will follow him. However, if you chose against him, he sticks you in an oven hot enough to burn you severly but not kill you. And leaves you there indefinitely.

Would that really be a choice. Love me or be tortured. Wouldn't that be considered evil?

I too expected this thread to rapidly deteriorate. but since it has not I'll also ask a question.

how can a true believer of christianity justify any sort of war, slavery, rape or killing, etc. for any purpose whatsoever? in the old testament there is lots of "eye for an eye" stuff but Jesus changed all that and suggested "turning the other cheek".

when I read history I see religious people coming to America and forcibly taking the land from the native Americans not to mention almost killing them to the point of extinction. and huge numbers of supposedly religious people kept human beings as slaves only 200 years ago! religious people in our government ordered the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in a way that killed and maimed so many innocent people. the list goes on and on.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot rather I'm trying to understand how one can profess a belief in something as noble as the teachings of Jesus and yet support the kinds of atrocities He would never have supported.

this apparent conflict of ideals and actions was one of the main reasons for my abandoning christianity in particular and rejecting religion in general. the inconsistency was just too great for me.

japangreg: You can believe in something without devoting your entire life to it.

hmmm...
    In response to flipshark's question #7, people who don't love God won't be thrown in hell just for that. It's because they hear His teachings their whole life and people witness to them their whole life, and yet they still despise God and disobey Him.

It's like a parent's relationship with their child: let's say that a parent tells their kid to clean up his room. If he cleans up, the parent tells him, he'll get a treat. If he doesn't clean up, he'll get a spanking. The kid still has free choice, it's just that his choices each have consequences.

God gives us the choice such as the parent gives their child a choice. He also gives either a reward or a punishment depending on the choice made. In this case, the reward is going to heaven and the punishment is going to hell.

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    japangreg: You can believe in something without devoting your entire life to it.
    I'd agree with that on most things, but isn't religion a totally different area all together?

I mean, I can believe in open-source software and still use MS products; but when you get down to the questions of the meaning of life, the purpose of your existance, etc., isn't that really where you are deciding what your life is all about?

For example: if I were Christian and believed 100% with out a doubt that God existed, Jesus was his son and gave to us the exact way in which we are supposed to conduct ourselves and what our life was all about, how could I not do everything in my power to be as much like Jesus as I could, or adhere to his teachings as closely as I could?

How could I reconcile the ideas that the meek shall inherit the earth and the poor shall sit with God in the afterlife with the daily exercises of pursuing wealth and stature?

Belief in things without devotion is fine for most things in life, but belief in God without devotion? Isn't that a little strange, or is it just me?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Flipshark,

I apologise if I questioned your motives on posting this thread but, I have seen how some so called stupid questions on the bible, are nothing more than an excuse to ridicule and rubbish it.

It just seems that Ridiculing the Bible and Christianity has become fashionable these days, thats all....however.

Your quote on the Song of Solomon:

Look at the context, you are quoting from the Authorised Version, I suggest you get one with not too much antiquated language in it like the AS, or the NIV, I use the New World Translation.

The Song of Solomon is about a young woman who is in love with a shepherd boy, and of king Solomons attempts at winning her love....which fail, the account is about her integrity and here "chastity" in the face of the Kings advances.

There are no X rated bits in it as some would suggest, but rather an account of how a young woman is trying to avoid the Kings advances.

On the other issues about if jesus was a man of peace and that:

Jesus said that "he came to put a sword on the earth"...etc as you quoted this reference is in his teachings and towards his disciples, basicaly what he was saying there was that, those who would take on Christianity would cause some problems with non believers, yes households would be devided and so forth, due to the divisive teachings of Chrisitianity, against other beliefs.

Jesus here was warning his future disciples that Christianity would NOT be compatible with the worlds ways and morals.

About why some things were done by "Christians":

Just because some one does something in the name of Jesus does Not mean that Jesus, or the Bible has sanctioned their actions.

Why should Jesus get the blame for what early settlers did to indiginous people in the new lands?? Jesus teachings were totaly contrary to their actions.

If Jesus taught Love and Peace and to turn the other cheeck, why should he be blamed for the actions of past, and present hypocrites?

The only success hipocrites have, is in bringing reproach on their professed religion.

Japangreg:

Yes you are right about being 100%, but that is only with people who have 100% spirituality, and there are not many with that quality. However, the Bible often mentions the struggle that a Christian has with the "flesh" and its desires and weakenesses.

And often times this represents the level or depth of an individuals commitment, along with their ability and circumstances.

If you look at the parrable of the Sower in Matthew 13:18-23, Jesus indicated what it was, that would enable a person to be made firm in Gods word, and also what would Choke Gods word.

But in it, he also made allowance for peoples individuality, not every one could give or would be able to give 100% (read verse 23).

Being a Christian does Not mean to live a life of poverty, many early Christians during the Apostles days were very rich, the Bible cautions only against the Love of money over and above God, and to be balanced in attaining it, and to be balanced in all other pursuits, so that they dont take over ones love of God.

Tony
    Last edited by XU1; 09-01-2004 at 02:12 AM.