A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Animation HELP!!

Animation HELP!!

I'm new at this so please don't shoot rocks at me ^^ I just made my career decesion that I wanna make animation. Um...I don't know where to begin, I don't know what computer is best, is HP ok? What brand should I use?
    What programs will I need? If any of you can tell me I'll be very happy.

I'm sorry if this dosn't belong here.
    Those who are forgotten will destroy you all!!

Junior Bacon Cheeseburger
    Wow, that's a big decision that appears to not have too much research in it! But that's okay, as long as you have the drive you can make it!

As a failed animator (at least, in college) I have found Flash a wonderful haven for it's ease of use. As long as your computer is moderately new and good, you shouldn't have a problem. Unless you want to do crazy 3D stuff like 3DStudio Max version whatever they're on, and then you need some powerful computing power.

I'd give you the following advice. First get yourself as much reading material (you know, real life books) that you can. They're great teaching tools. I have dozens. Next, try out demo versions of programs like Flash, and see what you like. All of them will take some effort to get used to, but you may like one more than another.

Flash is good for cartoons and animations like I do at FredtheMonkey.com (shameless self plug).

Anyway, good luck to you and keep at it! Animation is something that comes with a lot of practice! (Oh and sorry for the novel long answer!)
    -Space Chicken
    www.fredthemonkey.com/
    I like to post replies to those who get no replies!

Thanks you so much ^^ so that will help me for making animation for anime right? And what are some of the books title you read?
    Those who are forgotten will destroy you all!!

Hhmm thats a big descision to make without much planning, as SpaceChicken said ^_^

Ok firstly you got to be able to draw, yeah sounds obvious I know but you do. You also got to be very patient and willing to put lots of effort into your work, nobody likes a poorly made cartoon unless it's deliberate. You also got to do a lot, and I mean a lot, of study into movement and motion.

I'm going into an animation course in September this year at uni, all the ones I applied to said you need this book for the course:
    The Animators Survival Kit
    And I just got my copy through the post this morning, had a quick look through it and it looks very good. So I'd get yourself a copy of that.
    If you're going into anime I'd get a load of books on that too.

As for programs, Flash and Toon Boom are good for beginners and experts alike. So get yourself the free trials of both of them, see which one you prefer and work with that. (I am assuming here you want to do just 2D anime and not 3D or a combination)

Good luck, hope that helps, be patient and practice lots!
    Peace,
    -Olly
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Junior Bacon Cheeseburger
    Like Olly said, if you're going for anime, check out anime creating books. There's also a lot of How to Draw Manga books out there that could be useful for reference. And draw. A lot. All the time. It helps. I read the animation books that fit my style. What ones you read will depend on what you like, but an all around one that tells about basic stuff will always be useful.

On a side note that doesn't apply to animation, I really like your website Olly! Wow, the character designs are amazing and the games look really well done. Nice job.
    -Space Chicken
    www.fredthemonkey.com/
    I like to post replies to those who get no replies!