A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic image loading

dynamic image loading

I'm working on an image viewer that the client would like to able to add pictures too easily. Is there some way I can get flash to just read out of a folder of .jpgs?

I basically want to add a new button to the stage for every .jpg there is on the folder.

no, you cant read the directory unless you have server code do it for you.

I would either have a webservice return xml with everything I needed to load the images dynamically, or create a static xml file that the user would update with the image data when they add a new image to the directory.
    Ben

Can cold fusion generate that xml file based on the directory contents?

yes cold fusion does this easily IF the admin can/will allow it. with a few tags, cold fusion that does what you need (that's why cold fusion rocks). problem is that giving cold fusion (whoever the programmer is) those types of priviliges is a security risk to the server.

so if the cold fusion admin allows you to use cfdirectory and cffile, you can do what you want easily.

like stunned said, a form allows users to upload files to server (security risk), every time somebody submits form you update the file list (text file on server). the flash player will download the text file.