A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Benifits of Graphics over MC's?

Benifits of Graphics over MC's?

I usually never use a graphic symbol and use MC's instead.
    This past week however, I have been working with some files that have been sent to me and they are using graphics. This messes me up royaly because now I have to adjust my time line to the graphics time line. Anybody have a reasons why they use Graphics rather than MC's?

MC's make for countinous animation while graphics is mostly used for single frame thing. If you used graphic symbol as animation then u have to mention all the keygrames u have in symbol while if u use mc then u have to define it on single keyframe.
    Muhammad Khurram Alvi.

I understand that. My question was what are the benifits of the Graphic symbol. I can do everything in an MC that I could with a graphic symbol, an more. So why are there Graphic symbols?

The playback of a graphic is tied to the timeline that contains it, so if this timeline stops the graphics timeline will also stop.

also when you a working in an fla file and you movie along the timeline graphic symbols change frame in sync with the main movie so you can easily see how the different elements (eg an animated character) in the file will interact as it plays back (a movie clip would just remain static on frame 1)