dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: image background question

image background question

Hi
    I hope this isnt too dumb of a question. I was wondering if there was a way I can take an image that I created in Photoshop and eliminate all the white background so that I can attach bones to it and only the image moves (using Kool moves). When I use the bitmap fill option the picture doesn’t move with the points I created. I have tried editing the image in various programs using both raster and vector graphics with no success in removing the white background while leaving the image intact.
    thanks

Aaron

Actually what will hapen if you do this is that the image will then tile instead of moving with the shape. KoolMoves has very limited Raster (Bitmap) editing abilities.

You must first vectorize your image if you want it to move. There are several vectorizing programs out there. Open Office (Draw) can vectorize. I posted a tut back in July of 2000 on how to vectorize images with Star/Open draw.

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    One could trace images into KoolMoves...
    But this takes alot of effort that can lead
    to undesirable animated images in the end.
    The easiest way to animate an image is to split
    the image at the desired "joints".
    Then use the transform of rotate or size to move
    it around the joint. Think bobble head.

For best results on rotation drag the rotation
    point to the joint. Also, don't rotate more
    than 60 to 70 degrees as it may flip the image fill.
    Docree

Re: image background question

Originally posted by Derflection
    I have tried editing the image in various programs using both raster and vector graphics with no success in removing the white background while leaving the image intact.
    Send me that image (for processing).

Originally posted by johnie

You must first vectorize your image if you want it to move. There are several vectorizing programs out there. Open Office (Draw) can vectorize. I posted a tut back in July of 2000 on how to vectorize images with Star/Open draw.

Well I downloaded the program and followed the tutorial I did get rid of that pesky white background, which was really awesome btw thanks!

I have run into a new problem however, the images i am working with are rather complicated (with a lot of lines and colours). So when I import the file to Koolmoves the program freaks out when I try to manipulate the image (there were just way too many vector points i assume). I am currently experimenting with adobe streamline to get the vectors and colours reasonably balanced, though I am unsure if this is going to make my life easier or more difficult.

If you posterize, and set your colors to 8, before you vectorize it reduces some of the noise.

There is also a halfway decent SVG vectorization app out there that can reduce shapes, it was experimental and done by some University in Japan (Can't think of the Univerty's name or the apps name off hand). I'll see if I can't find it.

Originally posted by johnie
    If you posterize, and set your colors to 8, before you vectorize it reduces some of the noise.

There is also a halfway decent SVG vectorization app out there that can reduce shapes, it was experimental and done by some University in Japan (Can't think of the Univerty's name or the apps name off hand). I'll see if I can't find it.

I am not familar with the term posterize I checked it out on the net and it looks like it entails eliminating multiple colours. Is this correct? If i reduce colours to 8 I end up with an image that doesnt look even close to what i had intended. I can get a decent image if I use more than 64 colours but the line mapping still leads to too many points (esepcially in border areas). Am I asking for too much from these programs?

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    Well it is a technique that reduces colors, but it does
    so in a different process than simply reducing colors.
    It reduces to "fields of colors" [Probably not a real term].
    It seems to reduce the image to shapes depending on how
    the colors relate. The easiest way to think of the effect
    is old posters or silk screening. Posterize will help to
    vectorize images.
    DocRee

Ok thanks everyone for all the help I have been fooling around with adobe streamline and its producing some good results!