A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes this fade effect? Cant figure it out....

What causes this fade effect? Cant figure it out....

Hey guys i downloaded some scroll bar tutorial and it has a real nice fade effect on the scroll bar. I want to impliment that effect into other elements of my project, but i cant figure out why it fades in. I have included the fla. Thanks for your help. This one has got me stumped....

Here is the link to the FLA

HAS UPDATED FLA for problem with dynamic text box and varibles READ LAST POST AND PLEASE SEE IF ANYONE CAN FIGURE THIS ONE OUT Thank you so much
    Last edited by hevnbnd; 09-10-2004 at 04:46 AM.

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hiya

Symbol 86 (movie clip) on the main timeline has a simple motion tween applied to make it go from white to the original color.

Mick

Sorry, i am new to flash and i guess i am not following. I relize there is a motion tween, but i could not find anywhere in the fla that it ever shows it changing from white to original could you explain a little more indepth? Thanks

Hiya

OK, when you first open the fla file you will see Layer 135. On the stage is a white box. Select the white box and take a look in the properties inspector. It says "Instance of : Symbol 86". If you look in the library you will see that Symbol 86 is a movie clip. Not a great idea to keep the default symbol names, much better to re-name them so they actually mean something.

Grab a hold of the playhead and drag it slowly up the timeline to frame 19. The movie clip turns from white to blue. That was done with a motion tween.

Mick

Yea i got that much... But if you go to symbol 86 and open it there is not white box. See what i am getting at? When i copy symbol 86 and paste it in a new movie and create a motion tween i dont get anything but a white box all the way through the tween. I cant figure this out.

Hiya

No, you are missing it lol. There won't be a white box INSIDE the clip. A tint motion tween has been applied to the clip from the main timeline. The clip was dragged onto the main timeline, copied across to frame 19. Then a white tint is added at frame 1 and it is then tweened back to its original color.

Mick

Banned
    What Mickbrit forgot to mention (Wow! How polite!) is that the "advanced" color settings ( and not tint) have in fact been altered on the first keyframe of that "motion color" tween...

You can drag another copy of the 86 symbol on another layer, and create your motion tween between frame 1 & 19.
    Next select the first keyframe of your own tween, and it the properties select "advanced" in the color box. Hit the settings tab, and reduce the left colum Red, Green & Blue to 0% and push the right colum corresponding values to +255... You'll get your white box (or whatever color setting you want to use) starting your tween.
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 09-10-2004 at 12:09 AM.

oldnewbie that answered my question. Dont know how i missed that. But hey i learned something new.

Is this the best method to have something fade in?

One more question as i have been working with this dang scroll bar i cant add any text too it and make it work. Some of the text shows up while some never shows up. I have updated the fla to reflect what i have done so please download it again from the first post and see if you can figure out why my dang text wont show up. Thanks alot, i am learning more and more flash from this forum everyday

Banned
    Well it's not really fading in, now is it?

Wouldn't use that to fade it in.

Will look into your other problem.

Banned
    Wrong format my friend! I can't open MX2004 .flas!

True that, to the fading in statement. Updated it with MX version please redownload. Sorry forgot to change it to mx.

Banned
    Of what text are you talking about? "TESTING"?

yes, if you hit ctrl-enter and play the clip you will see that lots of my text does not show up ie (testing, 7/01/04 - testing) There are several instances where what i have inside symbol 74 does not show up.

Banned
    Well, I don't have fff professional, but when I change it for fff galaxy which I do have, all your texts seem to appear for me!

I dont have fff galaxy either.

What does it mean when you select a font and it has
    (fff professional) System Default

I have several fonts that say this.

Ok this is what i have concluded. If i change the font to
    _serif = does NOT work
    arial or any other font on my system = does work
    dynamic text box = does NOT work

Any ideas why some fonts work others dont? Also why will dynamic text box not work, as i would like to be able to update these events dynamicly without haveing to edit the fla all the time. ie i use instances of dynamic text boxes with varibles on several other ocassions.

I am now able to add dynmic text boxes however i am not able to get my text to show up in them when i put in my veribal. I have included an updated fla that shows the error message i get when i run the movie. I alos included the .txt file.

Thanks

Shared fonts do work. just _serif and no dynamic text boxes?
    Last edited by hevnbnd; 09-10-2004 at 03:40 AM.

really need to get this one fixed today if possible. Supposed to unvail the site to my church this weekend. If anyone can help it will be much appritiated.

Banned
    Here's what you must understand...

First any font you want to use must be properly installed on your system. If you open up someone's .fla and see an unfamiliar font in a textfield between (), and don't change it, you'll most probably have problems... Switch it to Arial to test the .fla...

With static text, all fonts outlines are automatically embedded, unless the font used is a device font (_sans, _serif, etc...), which CANNOT be embedded!
    As for dynamic text, the default is that the font outlines are not embedded, and that to ensure everybody will see the same font, or as your using them, the font's outlines must be manually embedded.

To manually embed a font, you select the textfield, and in it's properties, hit the Character tab, and select Embed All...
    You'll have to embed the font used in all of your textfields, in the same manner.

Last but not least, fff Professional & ff Galaxy are pixels fonts that are designed to remain sharp and crisp eventhough they are embedded. Certains restrictions do apply, such as left justified text only, and the textfields should lay on exact pixel value coordinates.

Suggest you start with a standard font such as Arial, and embed it in one of your textfields to see if you get the text to show up... That will already be a progress, right?

Then if you do get it to show up and you want to use a pixel font, we'll look into that alternative...
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 09-10-2004 at 03:47 PM.

oldnewbie thanks.

I embeded the font using the method you described and i get this message in the place of where my text should be.

_level0.instance17.scroll_content.item_holder.even t1

What does this mean? FYI i am using ROCKWELL text now.

Banned
    What textfield is it exactly?

You've use a variable in the VAR box of that textfield?

Banned
    Yeah, you did... event1 as an instance name, and the same event1 as the variable in the VAR box... That's another no!no!

What code are you using to load your text file?

loadVariables?