A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my flash movie stops syncing w music

my flash movie stops syncing w music

i have what is a simple flash slide show with music.
    i have images that i have fading in and out...the prob is that when i test the movie, the images eventually start to stop loading as fast and the music keeps going but the images have basically stopped...how do i make the file size smaller?
    now that i have the finished product, is there an easy way to compress so that it will play for all clients?
    thank you thank you for any help!

Gods cower, women quiver. Buckwheat469's Avatar
    That's confusing, can you restate it in terms that are easier to understand? You know, developers can't read too well.
    yup.

Musician/Sound Engineer
    If your 'syncing' the pics with the music on the timeline, then your music must be set to 'Stream'. This is the only way it will always work.

Mike

what next?

i'm a total newbie at this...
    i'm not sure if i 'synced' the way that you may think i have...i just imported the music on one layer and put all my images on the other layers...
    the first 70% of the movie works okay but it gets to the same pic everytime and the loading of the image is very slow.
    but music keeps going.
    did i make too many symbols? for the motion tweening (fading pic in and out) i made a symbol for every keyframe with the image.
    i also chged the images from jpeg quality to lossless which i guess brought down the file sizes a little but don't know what else i can do!
    i can't imagine this simple slide show can't be sped up easily...since it isn't all that complicated..it's the length of one song and has about 25 images and 120 symbols (which came from only the 25 images...i did the convert to symbol thing)and one sound file...
    pls help!
    thx.

how do i set the music to stream?
    is that in the screen that tests the movie? (view - show streaming)?

btw, the flash file size is 8.12 mb...

For the sound to be sync to the animation is has to be on the _root timeline. Click the snd file and in the properties panel set sync to stream instead of the default event. After about 1000 frames it has a hard time keeping sync.

even with the stream function i'm having trouble with the last third of the movie...the stream option skips frames to keep up with the music but it is skipping so many that the quality is poor...image appearing is very choppy...

is there anything else i can do?

Musician/Sound Engineer
    To answer the 'stream question'. Click the first frame of your sound layer. Then in the properties panel, under the sound options you will see 'stream, event, start, ect...'. Set it to stream, if you haven't already figured that out.

When you imported your sound file, did the timeline stretch out to accomodate all the frames needed for the audio? Or is the sound just on frame 1 ?

Mike

Did I not just say that? ECHO!

Post your fla...

sound was just on frame 1 and i had to create the frames for it to show...

Then how were you sync it up with the animation if you had it set it stream with the sound only in one frame??

i inserted the frames to fit the sound file in.

I know how it is done! I ask, If you had problems at a certain point with the sound sync'n to the animation then how did it sync at all!

Banned
    How many frames long is this movie?

Are you using "heavy" pictures and/or motion or alpha tweens between them?

it only sync'd for the first half or so...after that, the pictures can't catch up...
    long after the music has finished, i still have like 6 pics that haven't appeared.
    what are heavy pics? they are jpegs, 72 dpi anywhere from 100 to 150+ kb per file...but i optimized them in flash, in the library...
    every pic i have motion tweening in alpha to fade in and out

movie is about 2200 frames long at 12 fps

Banned
    Well, although I've never really verified it myself, it seems that Flash, as Green_eye posted, does have a problem maintaining sync after a 1000 frames...
    You can check this thread, and it's MX2004 .fla (I can't!)... Maybe a solution...

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...highlight=1000

Or this from the FK sound forum's FAQ...

Long form animation
    There seems to be a problem where long form animation, more than 1000 frames, and sound drift out of sync even when using stream sync. You may be able to work around this problem by periodically using play() frame actions to resync the sound to animation.

Another approach is to break the animation into shorter timelines as individual SWF and sequentially load them into the player, this technique is called "stitching". By having a series of SWFs each with a shorter timeline, Flash is better able to maintain sound/graphic sync.

Gods cower, women quiver. Buckwheat469's Avatar
    Break the sound into multiple sounds and like oldnewbie posted, "stitch" the sound files in where they should be. This way one sound will end at the exact time another should start, but since they are completely different sound files Flash shouldn't have any problem with it.
    yup.

however, the problem is that i would like my images to play faster...or maintain the same speed throughout. it's not the music i'm worried about. if i break up the music wouldn't the pics still be slow?