A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global suicide toll exceeds war and murder.

Global suicide toll exceeds war and murder.

I'm really surprised about this, I had no idea that suicide was so widespread. The thought of it is depressing me...

Re: Global suicide toll exceeds war and murder.

Originally posted by Covenent

I'm really surprised about this, I had no idea that suicide was so widespread. The thought of it is depressing me...

mhhh i can understand that... to be honest....
    Suicide happens everywhere....
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

Re: Re: Global suicide toll exceeds war and murder.

Originally posted by iForgotMyPassword
    mhhh i can understand that... to be honest....
    Suicide happens everywhere....
    As does murder, and lets face it war isn't exactly uncommon.

How many people do you know who have even attempted to commit sucicide? I would struggle to name two.

A little one on one with the reaper never bothered me. I think everyone has that right. It's those mass suicides by religion or suicides by comet that bother me. That's plain lunacy.

The thought of it is depressing me...
    not uh.. too much I hope..

You wouldn't know. Considering the number of suicide-prevention classes that they
    teach in high schools and colleges nowadays, I would expect the suicide rate
    to be extremely high.

the suicide rate IS high...

and I know a few poeple who have killed themselves.. one time..two pople within months of each other..

DO I know anyone who got killed in the war? Nope...

I think it just depends on who yo uare and your circles you run with.

-whispers-

Well i can name three people right now who are suicidal and i know two girls who slit eachother wrists....

murder... sure it happens everywhere but in some places it doesn't happen very often... i mean i've never heard a gunshot....(except for my 2 years in the navy)

rumour has it a gun is fired in New York every hour at least....

yeah... rumor.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

More than twice as many people died in southern africa from AIDS in the whole year (2.3 million) than died from war and murder globally.

More people in southern africa died from AIDS on any given day last year than died from global terrorism during the entire year.

Suicide is one problem that's growing worryingly globally but there are a frightening number of other problems getting out of control, AIDS, terrorism, even alcoholism is growing exponentially in parts of europe... we certainly live in interesting times.

Originally posted by gerbick
    yeah... rumor.

yeah well I don't know I've never been there....

Suicide is a very selfish act; I witnessed a suicide and an attempt. Da Danga, that’s something one NEVER forgets.

Originally posted by Goral
    Suicide is a very selfish act; I witnessed a suicide and an attempt. Da Danga, that’s something one NEVER forgets.
    You cant simply make a generalization like that. I can pinpoint dozens of cases where suicide truly is the better way.

one

And as far the article goes, when they say globally, without providing any real stats, sounds more like a biased estimate than actual data.

The Murder Rates in St. Louis (MO), Detroit (MI), New Orleans (LA), and Washington DC are traditionally much much higher than NY. Go look it up if you don't believe me.

NYC is a much safer place as far as murder rates now than it was in the 80's. The area that is now the touristy Times Square was very dangerous, as was the Lower East Side. These places are totally safe now. The murder rate per capita in NYC is lower than many other US cities.

I read something a few months ago about the top ten cities with the most violent crime in the U.S. Baltimore and Las Vegas have risen to the top of that list. Never been to Vegas but I can say that Baltimore has become a total ****hole. And as Johnie said, Detroit and New Orleans aren't places you'd call paradise either.

Gary Indiana has a high murder rate too. Must be because of sheer boredom.

Originally posted by aversion
    More than twice as many people died in southern africa from AIDS in the whole year (2.3 million) than died from war and murder globally.

More people in southern africa died from AIDS on any given day last year than died from global terrorism during the entire year.

Suicide is one problem that's growing worryingly globally but there are a frightening number of other problems getting out of control, AIDS, terrorism, even alcoholism is growing exponentially in parts of europe... we certainly live in interesting times.
    There's a lot of discussion about how many lives even a fraction of the military budget could save if redirected elsewhere... Sorry, no links off rhe top of my head, just a point of discussion, no more.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Originally posted by Visionray
    I read something a few months ago about the top ten cities with the most violent crime in the U.S. Baltimore and Las Vegas have risen to the top of that list. Never been to Vegas but I can say that Baltimore has become a total ****hole. And as Johnie said, Detroit and New Orleans aren't places you'd call paradise either.

Gary Indiana has a high murder rate too. Must be because of sheer boredom.
    Damn, had a good time in Baltimore a few years back for a mate's bucks night and then wedding, didn't realise how bad it was... though guess it's in certain areas as with most "danger spots"
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I guess that's the price we all pay for having a big brain.

If we were just a bit more stupid, we wouldn't have the intelligence to allow life in general to get us down to the point that suicide seems like a viable option.

We are such a fragile species.

Though, I agree with fospher - I think someone's done a micro-survey and factored it up to match world population.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I guess that's the price we all pay for having a big brain.

If we were just a bit more stupid, we wouldn't have the intelligence to allow life in general to get us down to the point that suicide seems like a viable option.
    To a certain extent, true, yeah. The whole "meaning of life" question (no, not the Monty Python version...).

Though it's still a serious issue that does deserve more attention than it gets and has more causes than some might think.

Señor member
    Originally posted by covenent
    How many people do you know who have even attempted to commit sucicide? I would struggle to name two.
    Tragically I know of only one and it's a great loss to the world that he succeeded
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand