A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching - The Challenge to Windows Lovers

erm... I use right click on my Mac just as much as I do the PC.

the software.. well, my then contracts paid for all of that in one day.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by PCRIDE

Windows
    PROS- better software
    - more choices
    - make your own
    -cheaper

COns- M$ is the olny choice for a general OS for most of the public

Apple
    Pros- look good?

cons - limtied choice in software
    no rightclick
    $$$$ very$$$$
    can't customize
    and limted hardware choices

THERE!
    I don't agree with that. First off with the Mac there is plenty of software out there for it. There is more comercial software for it than for Linux, and since it is BSD there is tons of FOSS software you can get for it from Fink.

Also there are;

2 button mice for the Mac,

the Mac uses a keyboard button instead of the right click with a standard mac mouse,

and finally how many Windows users use the right click (Besides the tech savy).

Finally the Mac is not that much more expensive than say a computer from Dell, HP, Gateway if you spec it the same as a MAC. In many cases the Mac is cheaper. Most large PC makers toss in WP Productivity, Works, or MS Office SB, while this is what comes with the Emac (The lowest end Mac)

eMac Software Collection
    Every eMac comes loaded with top-notch software — including Quicken for Mac to make managing your finances a breeze, AppleWorks 6 to keep you productive, World Book Encyclopedia to tell you what you need to know about practically everything, Sound Studio for easy digital audio editing. And for those times when you just want to have fun, eMac also includes Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising, and Mac OS X Chess.
    You also get iLife which is GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto,iMovie and iDVD. Simply put you get more software tossed in for the Mac than if you get a PC from Dell, HP, or other large vendor.

Originally posted by johnie
    and finally how many Windows users use the right click
    You gotta be f'ing kidding me with that argument.

Originally posted by fospher.com
    You gotta be f'ing kidding me with that argument.
    Was gonna say that!

I WANT a mac, just cant afford one, whereas I can build a nice workstation PC for PS and a few other thongs for round about £200 and then add about $30 for XOverOffice which runs the MX2004 range quite well.
    I own Many windows licenses so that isnt an issue I just prefer the penguin

Now someone point me to RHCT gudes
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

Originally posted by fospher.com
    You gotta be kidding me with that argument.
    Unfortunatly I am not. A lot of Windows users do not know how to use the right click button, or even that it does anything.

What users?

If youre positioning 65+ grannies trying to connect to AOL on their win95s, or those funny cases of tech support on computer stupidities, perhaps.

But the average user? Hal no man. Emptying the recycle bin, saving images from the web - those are daily tasks brother - and most are aware that there are two buttons on that thing.

I suppose those owning a mac are in a way part of a cult - you cant explain fully why you are part of it - but when someone starts bashing it you'll defend till death.

^My names up there Doubting Thomas's Avatar
    I agree with fospher.com . Unless you just got a computer and have not used one before, your going be using that thing almost as much as the other button!
    -Thomas DeNicola
    Head of Chaos Inc. The man who works hard and yet accomplishes nothing... strange how that works out....

Not siding with either camp on the clickage... but I've seen people that were astounded when I used right click when I went out to the non-developers.

same thing about CTRL+C and CTRL+V... their mouth dropped open.

then some others, they knew about it, but not when to use it.

but I'm neither of those types. I use right click within both OS's.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Good move man...I use a PC at work and a Mac PowerbookG4"12"....(second edition)...for all the pros and cons of a PC and a Mac (other than the PowerBook G4 is a great conversation starter at Airports).

Is the fact that if you stay in a hotel that has internet services, you just plug the thing in and your'e on the Internet straight away.

Get one of those little "retractable" mini-mouse and youl'l love it forever.

Tony

Mac vs PC, ahh, how I love the pettiness and pedanticness of these pointless and fruitless arguments. Lets go mental and do Linux vs Unix or Pascal vs Cobol.

[boring]

This isn't suppose to be a Mac vs. PC topic because everybody has an indivudal right to use what they like and everybody has different arguments.

Then I issued a challenge which nobody has been able to actually do, this backs up my reason for buying a PowerBook. You've alll proven to me that I made the right choice and that I got a lot for money. I could never get this kind of machine on Windows or built myself for this price. Hell, I still use Windows so I can play Train Simulator (don't laugh) and I really don't have that much of a problem with Windows - it just, at times, it does seem a little silly. Like, at the moment, I can't change my desktop wallpaper using the Desktop properties Window; I have to open the Preview of a picture and select "Set as desktop wallpaper".

before my senior year of high school when i was in my digital arts class(all running second generation G4's, the ones with the silver front) i was a a Mac hater only because i used mac 8.6 previously but i will have to say OSX is a HUGE improvement and i am actually looking forward to Tiger even though i don't own a mac at the moment i just want to play around with it...

I used windows 2000pro for the longest time and took the XP dive 2 months ago and will never go back. i will always own a pc just because i like all the little freeware and shareware thing people make

but as soon as i can afford it a mac will be in my possesion. They ARE slick and are nice. but they do have thier problems i have never had one "crash" on me but i get way more program quits and errors then i have ever had on windows

if i had the money a dual G5 and the whole final cut HD suite would be in my room.

wow ranting gone crazy sorry...

PS: and i know somebody with a new 17" powerbook and he has all the software he would ever need so you can't say mac doesn't have the software that PCs do. because that is wrong.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I could of got a nice G5 with the money I spent on this - but then I wouldn't beable to take it around with me.

So far only Microsoft Word has stopped responding while trying to read a file I brough accross from Windows. Apart from that it's been as stable as a rock.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Sheepy, just to rain on your parade or pee in your pool or whatever they say

Dell Inspiron 9100 2.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-RW, 128 MB Video Graphics, 15.4 WUXGA that's 1740*1200, and built in everything, Wireless network, bluetooth, you name it

and you still get 150$ in mail rebate, and as a bonus it builds your muscles by it's bulk of 4 KGms or something

I just got back from Fry's Electronics. Aisle after aisle of Windows software goodness (droool). Hundreds and hundreds of products with multiple selections in every category. lots of low priced options.

but the Mac aisle? oh they get 1/2 an aisle. very little selection. higher prices.

and Fry's is by far the most generous when it comes to dedicating space to Mac stuff (at least compared to the Best Buys and CompUSAs around here.)

and the Mac hardware is always higher than comparable PC hardware. by comparable I mean speed, disk space and other productivity stuff. the Mac is certainly much cooler looking for whatever that is worth to you.

I have used a Mac (carried a Powerbook for several years) and loved it. I also love my Windows PCs. In truth, they are both very similar in overall operation and functionality. I see very little difference in the major applications (Flash, DW, Photoshop, etc.) between Win and Mac so there is no particular advantage there.

so for me, the PC with Windows is the obvious choice. plus, as a developer, I need my main machine to be compatible with 90% of the marketplace. so, for these reasons, I chose PC and Windows.

but if you like the Mac go for it. you don't need to try and justify it. you issued a challenge to "those who think I'm stupid for swtiching to Mac" who cares? just enjoy it.

I switched about 8 years ago ... will defenitly never switch back. Love my dual G5 (with four screens) and my 12" PowerBook (where I'm typing this). Since OS X 10.3 I never had a single crash of the system (badly coded or beta apps can always crash, on any system, but that's an other story).

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Originally posted by Subway
    I switched about 8 years ago ... will defenitly never switch back. Love my dual G5 (with four screens) and my 12" PowerBook (where I'm typing this). Since OS X 10.3 I never had a single crash of the system (badly coded or beta apps can always crash, on any system, but that's an other story).

Fredi

can I make the bathroom mirror joke now??

Originally posted by el-Ignoramus
    can I make the bathroom mirror joke now??
    The (bathroom) mirror is running Linux.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Originally posted by asheep_uk
    Then I issued a challenge which nobody has been able to actually do, this backs up my reason for buying a PowerBook. You've alll proven to me that I made the right choice and that I got a lot for money.
    Some people have already posted specs of laptops thats equal or surpass the powerbook specs. You can argue back and forth comparing specs, but theres no objective winner here, so I don't understand why you're saying no one has beaten your 'challenge'...

But really, does it matter? I'll say it again, I'm glad your happy with your laptop, and im sure you did get a good deal on it. Go have fun with it dude.

Originally posted by stevietat
    Some people have already posted specs of laptops thats equal or surpass the powerbook specs. You can argue back and forth comparing specs, but theres no objective winner here, so I don't understand why you're saying no one has beaten your 'challenge'...

But really, does it matter? I'll say it again, I'm glad your happy with your laptop, and im sure you did get a good deal on it. Go have fun with it dude.
    Thanks stevieat, I'll stop complaining

el-Ignoramus: I want 12" so it will fit in my bag