A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ??????

??????

probably yes

I Blanius

I'm still here

I continue work with 3dfa

Other softwere concept it's complicated

What we need to do to upgrade 3dfa, solve bugs and make it survive?...

Rui

Wish I knew.

I'm just frustrated that it's left in the current broken state. If Loaded movies work properly I'd be ok with it as is but you cannot make a complete site that loads sections with progress bars properly. Plus the other documented bugs.

I'm afraid that Rob has left us on our own now. I hope I'm wrong but since there has been no response to anyone (including his personal email that I had) I have to assume that something is wrong or that he has abandoned the project.

I seriously looking at KoolMoves and Swishmax now. Both at least have support (I was the default support for 3dfa).

SIGH!

options

Hi Blanius

I have checked Koolmoves, too. I contacted a KM guru (not the owner), necromanthus, in a private mode, to check the KM possibilities.

He made her site with KM and xml and in her opinion, KM is the best option to Flash MX for who want avoid spend a lot of money.

http://www.necromanthus.com/

If you download KM teste version, you will find a lot of examples of things we have made in 3dfa.

The unique and great difference is the timeline and frame concept which we usually don't care on 3dfa, but i believe then i got understand the concept.

I have thinked buy KM, but i have waited because i like so much the great 3dfa possiblities.

Anyway, in this moment, the knowledge i got about KM, tells me then this will be a great alternative to 3dfa.

By the way, some people have had problems with layer and elements inside it, but i have developed a new version of my last site concept with menus and contents holded in xml files, and in this new, menu is not a tree buttons but vertical buttons located in a layer scrollable.
    I have not problems with this layer element and i have used only actionscript code to scroll it and load several menus.

Keep in touch.

Rui

Re: ??????

Originally posted by blanius
    Could it be?
    LOL. Nice. I don't know, that seems plausible to me. I sure wish we could get the source and atleast make it an opensource project that way development would still continue. Maybe Rob died.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

Re: Re: ??????

Originally posted by neederofhelp
    Maybe Rob died.
    No I actually have spoken with someone in Austrailia that has managed to make contact with Rob and I hope I will have some more info soon. But I'm not overly hopefull. I'm guessing that 3dfa just wasn't profitable enough for continued development.

In my opinion there is nothing even close to the power and flexibility that 3dfa offers. If Rob had just left the dang 3d stuff out and concentrated on bug fixes.

Re: options

Originally posted by rui_eduardo
    He made her site with KM and xml...
    LOL, Necro's a male.

If Rob had just left the dang 3d stuff out and concentrated on bug fixes.
    This is what I was looking forward to. The last time I spoke to Rob, he was working on this. Sucks that he QUIT on us like that but if I need 3DFA for something, I'll keep it around for a bit.

Oh, nice little animation Blanius.

ok im doomed...

happily i only got one big production on 3dfa wich is about half way there (some BIG stuff about few months work) , after that i think ill look for another flash making tools but im not very happy with the idea...

i've seen one of 3DFA users working on a small production which is placed on 3DFA , mybe it was an attempt for an upgrade ?

anyway i truely hope even though you "3DFA eldars" who where using this program longer then i ever did (expecialy with all the scripts and stuff) will keep an eye on the forum to support the begginers (over here ! over here !)...

i know i will once ill done my project and will (IF) look for another tool ....but exept some annoying bugs (mostly paintings messups) i dont realy see any reson why not keep using it
    ok....what ?

13 yr old Flash Whizz :)
    Do we get our money refunded?
    Luke Coulton, User since V3.0

Ummm... no. Considering you paid for it, got to use it, and the person who sells it fell off of the Australian coast, there's no way to get your money back.

This is really a bummer, why can't Rob just come back and release the code for 3DFA that way we can all work on it as an opensource.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

I got quite use to working with 3DFA and use it a great deal in my web pages and various web sites. Infact, I have one that is totally 3DFA, a buisness, that I need to update once in a while. So is everyone saying that Rob and his staff are not responding to emails and when you need to reload 3DFA onto your computer they're not sending the code?

I sure many of you have done your research on the next move. Is Kool moves the next best option?
    PW Ihms

Originally posted by pwihms
    I sure many of you have done your research on the next move. Is Kool moves the next best option?
    I prefer KoolMoves over 3DFA myself. I like 3DFA just because it supported 3D. It all depends on your preference on what step you take next. Hoped this helped, if any.

Thanks. I know that I can download a trial version of Koolmoves, but to get a quicker answer...does it seem that KoolMoves can do pretty much everything that 3DFA can do?
    PW Ihms

That's correct, the only thing I can think of is velocity and acceleration isn't in KoolMoves. Pretty much all flash software have everything that the other does, just setup differently. Well, some newer flash software may be a little behind in features but for the ones that have been around for awhile pretty much do.

Yeah Velocity and Acceleration though were some of the most used and best features of 3dfa.

well I've been maintaining a semi-corporate site with 3dfa-made elements since autumn 2001 - which basically means all templates, scripts, audio-related hacks and **** whatnot was made with it. I've managed to keep the aging IBM deskstar (knock-knock-knock) in good condition and acronis trueimage did it's job well (no challenge code change).

which basically means upgradetime is approaching soon and - redoing the whole thing - **** ...

Well, I agree with all of you. I've been reading since this whole "lack of updates" thing started, though it's been months since I actually posted something. I still use 3DFA a little, but recently I made an animation using the KoolMoves trial version to see how it compares. Turned out to be a little more complicated than 3DFA, but not by much - and I quickly got the hang of it. (I don't really do scripts, though, or I would have compared that - the only time I did was with the missing preload creation early on in 3DFAv4, so I probably deserve credit for at least making the push to get THAT put back in, since I'm the one who made such a big deal about it. Ah, memories...) Anyway, good luck finding out what happened to development of 3DFA, and if the crap really has hit the fan then good double-luck finding a new Flash development platform for all of us. Still, I'll keep reading until I know for sure - or until the forum itself goes (IOW: dead, kaput, zonk, etc.)

Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

RegUser since v3

Re: Re: Re: ??????

No I actually have spoken with someone in Austrailia that has managed to make contact with Rob and I hope I will have some more info soon. But I'm not overly hopefull. I'm guessing that 3dfa just wasn't profitable enough for continued development.

In my opinion there is nothing even close to the power and flexibility that 3dfa offers. If Rob had just left the dang 3d stuff out and concentrated on bug fixes.
    Wow...joined 10-14-2001 after i bought flash animator.....years ago. STRUTH....has it been that long

I live in South Australia ,blanius , so if you know Robs full name i should be able to track him down as i have a telstra friend IN HIGH PLACES.
    No its not against privacy law as i need to ask him a question....
    I still use it to do simple ad scrolls and other tidly bits and its never let me down...which is why i gave up looking for another 3dfa because NOTHING will be this intuitive and quick to use.
    Used coolmoves..nah!! not as intuitive.
    Its like php verse pearl scripting...similar but different aproaches.
    Anyway why the heck cant he release it as OS or at the very least ask for an update fee as all the posts ive read since away the majority (inc. me) would pay.
    Chow 4 now and look forward to some contact info blanius .....cheery, Rob

HEY... it says joined this month, year.... must be what happens to you when you dont visit forums...sori...its hard when the creater leaves his creatures and creation..(not THE creator..ah....u...no..whatimean )
    Last edited by schmutly; 10-04-2004 at 10:42 AM.

Robert Stewart is all I know

Product Evaluaiton

Hi Guys,

I was doing a product evalution for a flash product easier to use the Flash MX. I definitely like 3DFA for its 3D and the acceleration feature is easy to use. However, my attempts to contact product support have not been successful. This support forum also leads me to believe that developing in this technology would not be wise for now. Any opinions?

I also evaluted KoolMoves and ShishMax.

KoolMoves was neither as intuitive nor user friendly as the other two products. I also felt it lacked a great deal of functionality, but that may be because the functionality was so difficult to find. Also, I had repeated freeze-up using the product, where as this does not happen with other products I use. I am using Win XP SP2 and it could be due to that, though KoolMoves support was unaware of any problems. Some of the controls, like the color picker are horrible.

The positive aspects of the product: It does meet a baseline of acceptable functionality. KoolMoves support seemed very responsive, and so I feel more confident in investing in the product. And though the KoolMoves samples seemed poor, there are many people using this product and it is easy to find lots of inspiring examples.

The product I think I will select (unless I hear more negativs)is SwishMax. Good samples make this product realitively easy to learn and relatively easy to evaluate strengths and weaknesses. There are lots of fun transitions, great sprite functionality, and I found the layout relatively intuitive. The drawing features are weak and I found no support for loading and displaying XML data in movies. But I do have a request into their support for more info on this. Support seems reasonably responsive.

I would definitely like to hear from others on their opinions and also if there are other products that people feel I should check out.

Many thanks, Scott
    Scott in DC