A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: writing code for swf to exe

writing code for swf to exe

For a certain project I am required to develop a module which can convert swf files into screensavers. Are there any tutorials/ documentation with which I can start off? What will be the different steps involved? I guess the tricky part is to convert it into a standalone exe.
    One caution I can’t use any third party tool for that, since this is an academic project so I need to write my own code. But I guess I will need some library though.

Thanks for your help

Some one care to reply??

This would be the basic way to do it.

1. create your basic screen saver \ exe app. this should have an swf movie embedded in it. maybe a simple windows resource type would work.

2. the tricky part is making your screen saver\exe app really stand alone - not rely on the flash player being installed. I don't know if you can use the flash player in any other form other than as an active x control. maybe have a look at the netscape\mozilla plugin version - it is is NOT just a wrapper around the active x control you might be in luck and get some ideas.

Else if you are forced to use the active x version of the flash player you need to make your app\screen saver display the active x control (flash player). thats not hard, you can find plenty of docs about embedding active x controls if you haven't had experience with it.

once your've done that you need to make it play the movie. if the swf is a win32 resource you may be able to directly reference it and pass the source path to the player - something like c:\mymovieplayer.exe,4 . well maybe not, but it would be nice if that worked - thats how you can reference icon resources etc so i'm only guessing. it would be up to the flash player as to how it handles a movie source path of that form. If you can't do it that way you can always exact the resource to a tmp file , (probably the easiest)

3. ok the only other problem if you are doing it by using the active x version of the player is to handle the case when the player is not installed. first you'd have to figure out if it is installed (not hard, just try to create the control) , if it's not installed you could have a full copy of the flash player dll\ocx and dependancies also as win32 resources of your exe and exactract them to a tmp dir, regsvr32 and cross your fingers.

Of course, you could just get hold of the player source code from macromedia... don't hold your breath on that. I don't know if the above is how current swf 2 exe converts do it, it's just my first impression of how i'd make a start at it. But you could figure it out by having a good look at other projector style apps that the other swf 2 exe programs generate.
    http://www.chironexsoftware.com

Thanks dude will look into those, I didnt thought it will be that tough to get this information.

Thumbs up Re

Don't strain man
    Just use Flajector !

I think better if you can find in google