A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Guidelines - Please read before posting

This actionscripting section is much too big for anyone to care about replying or finding the right info
    don’t know about that. I’ve been here five years now and encountered very few problems. the search is functionning well and most topics where the question is well documented and explained, get at least one reply on the same day.

gparis

I could not agree more on the fact that members should try to teach on how to do it instead of giving an in hand solution. But unfortunatly what I notice more and more is that people are using tutorial and not really trying to learn how to do those things but just getting it done.

I can't count how many question that i've seen asking for the how to do that. People seems to want to work with flash but don't really care to learn how it work. Now all i have left to do is to try to keep myself together and not flame those spoiled kids who think they can have anything they want just by asking. Sometimes i can't help it and i will probably get banned for it some day. Till then i will continue to do my best to help people with real flash problem. (when i have time);

We dont want to ban anyone so when in doubt, just bite your tounge and let it go man. It's not worth it!

killerjackaroo
    i find that most questions can be answered in tutorials on this site or on tutorialized.com.

Senior Kid
    I think it is the hardest when someone post questions like "how do I make a flash site like xxxx.com" without specifying anything. it's kind of like asking "hey, how do I build a house like empire state building" or "how do I cook food like that chinese restaurant"

sometime there is no way to explain everything involved since flash's getting so complicated now.
    Last edited by dancinkid6; 09-23-2005 at 07:50 PM.

AJ

ummm so what happens

when someone as new to Flash 8 comes along and has done some searching? I've been to 15 diffrent web sites and still have to figure out how to even set up the beginning of a game I'm trying to make. I know it's a big project but I just want to see if I can do it, I have all the images but well now I'm stumped, I JUST got flash 8 like...umm...3 hours ago now...and managed to figure out how to open the darn thing up to a blank page and now I'm trying to figure out how to do the rest.
    I have a concept on a game idea I want to do for a site I volenteer for, but well like I said so new the wrapping paper I got my program in is still beside me in my chair...I haven't a clue how to make layers, set commands, actions, peramaters, or set scoring, or even for that matter how to save the whole thing once I'm done :S....
    I don't want to be "spoon fed" but what happens when someone as new as myself comes along? then what? Most tutorials teach you like your a genius or something and well frankly I'm no Enstine, I'm luck I can spell half the time and even then I have more typos than one can shake a stick at... :S

anyway thanks for listening...(hopefully)
    AJ
    If a tree falls in the forest on a mime...and no one is around...does he scream?

hi Lilaj378,

I get your point.
    But like dancinkid6 said, that's like asking:
    "hey, how do I build a house like empire state building" or "how do I cook food like that chinese restaurant"
    Everyone knows that if you want to become a doctor, an attorney or an architect, you need to study.
    Why becoming a Flash Developer or Designer would be different?
    Obviously you need to study, and start from the beginning.
    Learn the basics, get familiar with the interface, terminology and the program's capabilities.

In my opinion, books are the best resources.
    Obviously, these days, a lot of articles and tutorials are available for free on the Internet. All you have to do is search, but don't expect to find a tutorial that will walk you from the moment you open Flash for the first time, until you get your game completed - this will be a book for sure.
    No, you'll probably find a tutorial for each of the (several) steps you'll have to follow.

The problem with asking something like "I'm completely new to Flash. How do I create a game?" is that it really scares people away. You'll be ignored or looked at as being just crazy.
    For the simple fact that those who know how to do it know that it takes a lot of time and work.

You may ask something like:
    "I'm completely new to Flash. How/where do I learn the basic?"
    "I know the basics of Flash. Where do I learn about buttons and movie clips?"
    "I'm starting to get familiar with Flash. Where can I find some tutorials on animation"
    "I'm acquainted with Flash now. How do I control a movie clip with ActionScript? Where do I learn the basics of ActionScript?"
    ... and so on

Like I said, a book may guide you through some of these steps. It will give you some foundations... But even more than one book may be necessary as there are books that focus mostly Design/Animation and others that focus ActionScript.

AJ

Thanks!!!

Ok so there 4 steps in learning flash, the basics...then buttons & or movie clips, tutorials on annimation and then action scripting. cool, well since this has been a big help in getting me started I now know where to go LOL...more than what I was expecting really... Flash 8's own help site is well aimed at people already familliar with the program I find so this will get me going in the right direction...annimation shouldn't be too hard for me to grasp I know how to do that now...(somewhat) but mostly in Animationshop pro (which is still a start LOL)
    I'm good with graphics as well so theres another part taken cared of LOL...well thanks for the pointers I think I'll go back and REVIEW that programs help site and tutorials again...
    (hopefully it won't take me 3 years to learn this program like my step son who's paying an arm and a leg to learn through a school, & I see there are 13 year olds more familliar with this program than I am...LOL)

AJ
    If a tree falls in the forest on a mime...and no one is around...does he scream?

Just to clarify: I didn't say that there are 4 steps. I used "... and so on".
    Those are some of the steps that came to my mind.

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
    removed by dp

How I learned to use Flash / Tutorials are great!

I started trying to learn Flash as a complete newbie to the whole thing - no prior experience with similar programs or anything. For animations in flash, I found a great site that has a whole series of little movies that show you how to work frames and tweening, and everything basic to do with animation:

http://www.kidzonline.com/TechTraini...2D%20Animation

I think I had to sign up (for free) to see all of them, but they were SO helpful!

With actionscript, I have found the tutorials on here to be fantastic! I agree with everyone that has said that code should be spoonfed in order to teach, cos otherwise I would not have a clue still!
    I also bought the 'Actionscript Bible', which has opened my eyes to loads of things I never knew I could do with actionscript.

I have now progressed in just a couple of months from total newbie to being able to make interesting animations, and more importantly - some great little interactive puzzles etc (I'm a maths teacher).

See them at
    http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...kspaceId=43961

I just wanted to say thanks to all involved with the tutorials, and to hopefully give a little hope (and some tips) to any newbies reading this!
    It does get easier... I promise!

I guess this is for me, sorry
    Last edited by nunomira; 03-07-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: quote (entire post) deleted

looks like spambots took over. Well then, this thread is closed.

gparis