A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my new site

my new site

cast a critical eye over this for me

tell me what your thinkin!!

james

http://www.jmcinteractive.com
    Last edited by jmac100; 09-26-2004 at 02:02 PM.

www.designerunderground.co.uk
    Hey there
    Nice work
    >Can't read definition text on left hand side/bottom right
    >It looks like something is missing, should there be a top banner?
    >Check the rollover on the email address under contact section
    >Opportunity to use rollovers on navigations...
    >Think you need some imagery/illustration or a logo
    >Nice transitions/menu idea
    >Consider future content when you start to build your portfolio, how will you add more content...
    +
    You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis.

yeah, im currently working on banner for top, the sites kinda on hold for the minute due to domain registration mayem, so don't know what final url name is, so waiting on that before going down the logo design route.

spot on with the future work comment, big case of brain freeze!!

much appreciate the advice

j

Just a tip....do not use black backgrounds...they tend to give the site a very unprofessional look to it.
    -Excel Studio-

do not use black backgrounds
    I know what you mean, more whitespace makes sites look cleaner, but there are some great sites that use black bg's like MINI for example
    No hard and fast rules I think
    +
    You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis.

ever thought about using super pixel fonts? they give a much sharper look to the site rather than the blury look of normal fonts used in flash

www.fontsforflash.com

john

the thud of the body rabbitkiller's Avatar
    I agree with ojc1 on everything. Still cooking...
    And follow that good advice from Mr. john_i4media!
    world[i] = new world();

thanks guys, i really liked the stuff on fontsforflash, thinkin of ditchin the plain font ive been using

got to object to the "black background looks unprofessional comment", do you guys not think there are too many sterile looking pale white sites out there, sure enough black may not be the answer but im a bit bored with white.

anyway keep it comin about my 'work in progress'

j

Black backgrounds demands a clean, crisp design - like MINI to survive and keep the visitor enganged and interested. It's just the same with white, even though that colour is used more nowadays to embrace the whole warhol theme.

A jewlery site can, and benefitely should use the colour of black to give the impression of sophistication and class. What I reacted to was that the design of your site is mostly high tech, fashionably designed and thereby demands another BG colour - but that's just me.

Don't take it personal - all I'm saying is that the colour of black is a hard one to exceed by means of design.

Regards
    /Carl
    -Excel Studio-

yeah i know where your coming from mate,

im in the middle of having a play round with most of the component parts, fonts colours rollovers, so il post it up if and when i get it together and you can cast an eye over it and let me know.

playing around with an interactive banner/game, as previously said its a bit naked up top!!!

j

just a few modifications, fonts mostly, any better?

http://www.jmcinteractive.com/flash.html

j

Chileno Por Vida
    the main button still blury to me.. dono if thats jut me or not.

1152 res 17" monito gf4 ti umm 1.6 ghz tho :| dono what other info u need. um and i agree with the other dude about the black bg. other then that i think is looking good.

if its the main navigation buttons you mean, i think it might be down to them being white, seems to make them appear blurry, maybe il tone them down to a light grey.

im frustrated with this site as it seems, to do the job i initially wanted it to do, (inform possible clients of who i am and what i do) but its definatley lacking something, dont want to blind them with every flash technique i can throw at them though!!!!

less is sometimes more and all that!!

j

when you are using super pixel fonts you need to type your text and in the positioning make sure that they are all set to whole numbers, dont leave them set at say 22.2 set it to 22

i think there is a help file on fonts for flash somewhere that explains how to use them

to "add a flash intro" or not to "add a flash intro"

what do people think, does a fancy flash intro add anything to a portfolio site which is trying to pull in business, not just impress my peers, will prospective clients appreciate it or will they just want to see the "business end" of the web site.

j

I think it depends on how much it will add in terms of file size versus the benefit of having the intro sequence.
    I think the business requirement/ message to be communicated should determine whether or not you need one, rather than just cause you can.
    Maybe something v simple could be effective
    +