A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem with the Brush tool

Problem with the Brush tool

I've been using the Brush tool just fine as a secondary stroke function for quite a while on my Flash MX 2004 program.

However, today I started working on my animation project and all of a sudden my brush tool wouldn't work. I would draw the stroke and it would disappear.

I checked and checked and it turned out that I was using a correct non-locked layer to draw on, so this shouldn't be a problem.

On further investigation I noticed that my brush tool, if I was to draw in a circle would make a circle FILLED by the brush color. So apparently I had to draw in circles for the brush stroke to show similar to how Illustrator works.

But I don't want it to do that, is there a way I can make it go back to a secondary "stroke" tool?

Senior Moment
    if you're using MX... there's an "options" pop-up at the bottom of the tools pallet when the brush is selected. The options are: Paint Normal, Paint Fills, Paint Behind, Paint Selection, Paint Inside... sounds like you have it set to Paint Selection... or something.

Now it's become worse. I selected the 'paint selection' and began my brush strokes on one of my symbols. The first brush stroke went fine and I thought everything was solved.

The 2nd brush stroke crashed the Flash program.

I rebooted the Flash program and did it again. Same thing, program crashes on the 2nd stroke.

What is going on? Somebody help me with this

Senior Moment
    ...does it crash with Paint Normal?

No, in "Paint NOrmal", the brush strokes can't be drawn unless I draw it into a circle or something like in Illustrator.

Paint Selection is the one I selected so that the brush stroke would work. Unfortunately, after the first stroke the program crashes. This problem has just happened today and I have done no major changes to my system.
    Last edited by patach; 09-23-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Senior Moment
    I don't know what to tell ya... did you try it in a brand new doc with the same results? ...or is there a way to delete the preferences or something?!? ...'cuz I'm just guessing at this point... sorry!

It does seem to work on a new document. I wonder what the problem is. Any suggestions?

I don't want to throw away a flash file I've worked weeks into.

Senior Moment
    ...did you try a "Save as" with a new name? or backsaving it to MX? (not sure if that will hurt it, but it's worth a shot.) Maybe that would 'flush out' the weirdness.

Hmmm... think I figured it out.

I flipped the symbol on stage and tried to edit it. It wouldn't work well so I made a new symbol as a flipped image.

So now the program doesn't crash and paint normal is working again.

Thank you anyway, Sha.