dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: e-commerce project?? questions...

e-commerce project?? questions...

Sorta have a gig at a freelance job for an e-commerce type site...

me and a "pal" will be doing it.

I will be doing a front end FLASH / HTML hybrid I would imagine..

(unless I can do it ALL in FLASH??) =)

but it will be a "store" of some sorta from what I have gathered..

and it will be powered by PHP and mySQL (I think that whats they are using)..

my buddy will be handling the PHP stuff mostly..(as I am code illiterate)...

but I was wondering whatthings I should ask these people? obstacles maybe you have seen in other similar projects??

ideas on how to make an "interface" or a way to import data (.csv or xml possibly) to populate their products..etc..etc.

more or less things you think I will need to ask, find out, work with, be carefull of, add in, take out,...and just generally make this a decent EASY operational site.

Also..not sure what to charge for something like this either... I would LIKE to do it project based..instead of hourly.. I wold imagine most pages will be populate dynamically from the DB..using repeaters and what not.....and I havent got EXACTLY the umber of pages that are NOT product driven..probably each section will have a "splash"...plus the home page, contact..etc..etc... Just want to be prepared and ask the right questions...and for those of you who have been down this path already..PLEASE shed some insight of things to watch out for..or take into account.

Thanks

-whispers-

anybody? nody has built, made or worked on a project that involved a shopping cart?..

I just figure if theres someone with experience already..maybe they have some advice??

Stuck In The 90's
    Make sure you plan everything out before you start building it.

Originally posted by jeu
    Make sure you plan everything out before you start building it.
    ???? thas it?..thats all ya got?

that IS what Im doing no?? Im asking to see if you guys even have stuff to add. or tips...

-whispers-

Moved to D&G (but I meant to move it to the boardroom - doh!)

Firstly, I'd say do not make an ecommerce site in flash. Theres no point.

Firstly, I'd say do not make an ecommerce site in flash. Theres no point.
    Agreed....I just remebered this shopping cart thing MusicMan had posted... (hence my comment)..

more that likely..it will be sme FLASH / HTML hybrid..with minimal FLASH embedded in the pages..

but more so..about the "project" side....kinda wanna know what obstacles people have ran into before. Things to be aware of..

especially shopping cart stuff.. I just wanna make sure I dont "strecth myself thin"..and ask for $XXXX amount of dollars..when it will be +$XXXX amount f dollars ya know.

Unless there is a SUPER GOOD...110% customizable (PHP / mySQL based) shopping cart app out there already... complete with accounts, order history.....etc..etc..

anybody reccomend one? I heard about OS Commerce..anybody have any experience with it? MarkP.com? Ideas to keep in mind when doing the shopping cart /checkout process?..etc..etc..

thanks

-whispers-