A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: logo

logo

just the first "sketch" of my new logo.

the "m" idea is supposed to end up working on it's own, and it resembles the stick men below.

Last edited by nayades; 09-24-2004 at 02:48 PM.

I like version one bst, but that's because I hate no spacing between letters. A few suggestions:

flatten out the lower part of the T so that it doesn't go below the baseline. this could also be applied to the d. also, make the heads on the M a bit smaller, they look like they're about to fall off the stems of the m.

one problem with the heads though - it makes it look like your name is digitalisimio, imho.

Originally posted by wouter999
    I like version one bst, but that's because I hate no spacing between letters. A few suggestions:

flatten out the lower part of the T so that it doesn't go below the baseline. this could also be applied to the d. also, make the heads on the M a bit smaller, they look like they're about to fall off the stems of the m.

one problem with the heads though - it makes it look like your name is digitalisimio, imho.
    hmm yeah, i'll modify the fonts a bit more. about font spacing.. iim with you but had to post different condensed versions.

roger the dots' size issue.

i guess it would look more like digitalisivio
    but i don't think it can confuse that much...

I like 3. More space of the letter are better and add more color of the letters

hmmmm thanks multioscar... but i'm not still on the color phase.

anyway some updates.
    i'm liking the + sign in 5 and 6, but they are very "s+arck" like... so i guess i'm not having those.

anyway. please some more feedback thanks.

if you dont mind, what does dgtlsmo stand for? if its one word, using the + symbol instead of the T, i would read it as two words "dg" and "lsmo"... if thats what you want, i like 6 but the circles that you use in 1/4 are nice to, maybe adding them with the "+" ??

dgtlsmo:
    d = dee
    g = gee
    tl= tal
    s = s
    mo = mo

dgtlsmo (deegeetalsmo) is shortname for digitalismo.

which is my site

anyway, about the +, i already said they're very s+arck alike so i'm not using them.

anymore thoughts?

Originally posted by Tracy981
    i like 6 but the circles that you use in 1/4 are nice to, maybe adding them with the "+" ??
    thanks, that's exactly what i'm looking for. combinations of elements from within the 6 of them to have one sole logo.

hmm well from those 6, i like 1 & 4 but try more spacing. if you were to use the circles, how about have the same sized circle replace they counter part (hole) of the 'o' and the 'd' so it looks like the were "punched out", make sense?

OK, so this is everything i can squeeze out of typography. i'm now designing a set of icon/image based logos, and then i'm done.

please... as usual in the d&g forums, many thread views and little response. just post our favs. i hate deciding on my own, you end up saturated and don't choose properly. so please help

for those interested, the font is a personal modification of kyrilla, which can be downloaded at free font sites.

cheers

summary sheet:

i'm liking B1, C2, D2 and E1
    Last edited by nayades; 09-26-2004 at 09:39 AM.

I love the A-series, especially A2.

However, I also love your old logotype. Perhaps you can stylize the horse a bit, and have it incorporated in there?

Serve to vector battle is coming, by the way. I'm just sort of drained of inspiration...

lol, no rush. i'm pretty busy, plus i'm using my extra time for my site redesign, so we should just postpone it

I'm not really sure which ones I like. The A series is good but looks underdeveloped in terms of how the letters form together, plus they are weighted a little to the right due to the extension of the M and the wide side of the M.

I like the + idea in the D series. You may want to run with that a little more. It could go into some cool branding ideas, though the + is commonly used by HP now.

I don't fully understand the concept of the stick figures and the M. Care to explain it? I like the idea of having a mark that can replace a letter in the logotype but I don't understand it.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

how about replacing the d bit with the horse (change the horse shape slightly so it looks more like "d")

Maybe it is just me but all the letters have smooht edges while the M part contained sharp edges. Maybe smooth the M so the O letter can be added to the right side of M.

Sort of like a smooth transtion from d to o. hope that makes sense!

If the above is a big no-no then I rather like E1.

out of interest, why the capital M?

@kroggy :
    "The A series is good but looks underdeveloped in terms of how the letters form together, plus they are weighted a little to the right due to the extension of the M and the wide side of the M."

hmm , yeah i see what you mean. in fact i tried that right weighting effect not to happen by making the m's stem not as low as the g's one. but still, the optic effect is not balanced.

"I like the + idea in the D series. You may want to run with that a little more. It could go into some cool branding ideas, though the + is commonly used by HP now."

yup. moreover it's s+arckish... anyone here heard of him??(philippe s+arck) one of the most worldwide famous designers.
    so i'm not using that idea... but it's not original: i sketched it after reading something about s+arck.

"I don't fully understand the concept of the stick figures and the M. Care to explain it? I like the idea of having a mark that can replace a letter in the logotype but I don't understand it."

the m figure is like those stickmen everyone has made during his/her childhood: you fold a piece of paper and cut the shape of stickmen. when you unfold it you have a line of stickmen holding hands. in E1 they're just "holding" feet. while in E2 they're holdin both hands and feet.

about the star: my old unicorn had it, and it was as a wink to revolution. the five point star has this revolutionary connotation, and a sort of progress and innovation feeling to it. but it's also overused in so many things i'm not sure about reusing it.

@tony:
    "how about replacing the d bit with the horse (change the horse shape slightly so it looks more like "d")"

definately i'm not using the horse. it has become a cliché. logos based on heraldic themes are all over the web now, and i did it in a time when i was proud of being an ultratrendwhore.

Maybe it is just me but all the letters have smooht edges while the M part contained sharp edges. Maybe smooth the M so the O letter can be added to the right side of M.
    Sort of like a smooth transtion from d to o. hope that makes sense!"

yeah, i understand perfectly what you're saying... maybe i'll try. however, i believe what adds a different touch is precisely the M. just because it's a capital letter in between non caps.

"If the above is a big no-no then I rather like E1.
    out of interest, why the capital M?"

yeah, E1 is one of my choices.
    capital M? hmm dunno. it was kind of spontaneous really. the font i chose had it incorporated in the non cap values, and once i saw it i decided to continue with it. mainly the capital M is a letter that is symmetric, stable,(characteristics that not many letters gather together: A,H,I,M,O,T,U,W,X,and in some cases Y) and adds the distinctive touch to the whole "word" or acronym.

moreover, i wanted to use the ¨ accent to give it a north european touch. however i'm not from any north european country nor i saw it fitted in none of the vowels ( which is the only correct place to place those accents),so i buried the idea and went for the M. once there, i had found a way of using an accent which wasn't northern and could play with the idea of the stickmen.

hope all this boring speech helps people to understand my work process.

thanks everyone for the input... welcome any others

Originally posted by nayades
    @tony:
    "how about replacing the d bit with the horse (change the horse shape slightly so it looks more like "d")"

definately i'm not using the horse. it has become a cliché. logos based on heraldic themes are all over the web now, and i did it in a time when i was proud of being an ultratrendwhore.

Sort of like a smooth transtion from d to o. hope that makes sense!"

yeah, i understand perfectly what you're saying... maybe i'll try. however, i believe what adds a different touch is precisely the M. just because it's a capital letter in between non caps.

"If the above is a big no-no then I rather like E1.
    out of interest, why the capital M?"

yeah, E1 is one of my choices.
    capital M? hmm dunno. it was kind of spontaneous really. the font i chose had it incorporated in the non cap values, and once i saw it i decided to continue with it. mainly the capital M is a letter that is symmetric, stable,(characteristics that not many letters gather together: A,H,I,M,O,T,U,W,X,and in some cases Y) and adds the distinctive touch to the whole "word" or acronym.

moreover, i wanted to use the ¨ accent to give it a north european touch. however i'm not from any north european country nor i saw it fitted in none of the vowels ( which is the only correct place to place those accents),so i buried the idea and went for the M. once there, i had found a way of using an accent which wasn't northern and could play with the idea of the stickmen.

hope all this boring speech helps people to understand my work process.

thanks everyone for the input... welcome any others [/B]
    I see what you mean about the horse thing.

While we are on the subject of M -- I just had a thought....how about making a small curve on the right side of M so the O letter can "attach" to the M letter? I got no PS at my parents' so attaching a crappy Paintbrush one so you know what I am talking about. you know what they say: a picture if worth 1000 words!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i see what you mean. ok. i'll try that idea and then no more typography

tony's idea developed. i'm liking this one.

anyone?

Last edited by nayades; 09-27-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Nice new direction. I like this one best of all so far, except the eye does not travel through it, it jumps around. I think if you had a bit more positive space on the left side, it would really flow through. Oh, and the M reads like an N.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid