A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: gaijin design version something

gaijin design version something

launched the new gaijin designsite last week. have since caught a cold and spent most of my time been running around in client-flavoured circles. try ensmallening the browser window for a giggle.

...and yes, i'm sure 'ensmallening' is a word.
    tired of you // http://www.indextwo.net

Nice design and affects - looks great. However, please don't ever, ever, ever, ever resize my browser window. I have it set to the size I like it, leave it like that thanks.

got to agree with asheep_uk full screen browser windows like that are a right pain in the ____!!! when your running OSX on the mac, coz the program dock at the bottom of my screen throws itself into a fit!!!

i had plenty of time to resize my browser while the animation was taking place, got to be totally honest got bored while waiting for the profile to appear,

too slow and jumpy, at 512k broadband, i dread to think how long you could be sitting with 56k

j

i've removed the javascript resize function forthwith. sorry. i've not had any problems with it being slow and jumpy, until i ran it in firefox, in which it seemed to lag like a *****. i have no idea why though. i'm on 512k broadband and use ie for everything. any ideas?

ermmm, im not big on the technical side so youll probs get a better response from a techy, but i just know what seems to work for me,

i would split up your overall movie into individually loading movies for each section, profile hosting etc, then you can put a preloader on each one so that the viewer knows there is something coming and doesnt get bored waiting.

a rough estimate at the minute has the transition between profile page and clients page at about thirty seconds, which is a long time when you just watched liverpool lose the football on the telly

hop this helps if not put a call out on the forum for techy help

thanks for the feedback jmac

...although i am now confused as hell. all of the different sections are split up into different swfs, and not only that, but the preloader is on _level0 so that, rather than having to wait a couple of seconds while the preloader loads itself in each file (since it would be exactly the same movieclip in each file), it appears instantly.

i tested this in i.e. and firefox on pc, and like i said, in firefox it lagged quite badly, but i assumed that to be a browser issue, since i've seen similar complaints about firefox nightly builds. in i.e. i've had no problems, and all the preloading and transitions worked quite smoothly.

i'm currently optimising the ever-loving crrap out of all the files and have underclocked my pc as low as it will go to see if the transitions are stil clunky. if anyone has had similar issues to jmac, i'd like to know. thanks!

told you i wasnt a techy!!

hope i havent put a spanner in the works, but for me it just runs too slowly and i feel you will lose viewers because of it, but hey maybe just me,

having another look at it today, its running alot quicker, dont know whether you have adjusted something or whether my connection is better today,

still your transitions between each section could maybe be made quicker or maybe add some ambient music to keep the viewer interested

j

hey jmac

thanks for the feedback again - yeah, i optimised the hell out of all the files last night, taking out loads of unnecessary gradients without losing anything visually. i still don't know why it would run so slowly for you; what system and connection are you viewing it on, and what kind of speed is your machine? i'll try and recreate it and see if i can figure it out.

I think it needs a third color.
    About the centered, boxed layout... nah rather boring to me.

I dol ike the animations tho.

im running mac OS X, 10.2.3, 1 GHz Power PC G4, with 512k connection,

i.e 5.2

hope this helps

j