A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: image source...

image source...

I have an asp file that I can not alter what the code has, but I can make new images/swfs to be used for the buttons.....

Is there a way to have something like

img name="NavBar_r7_c1" src="http://www.nrd.com/buttons/button1.swf" width="190" height="5" border="0"

So I can have the swf get used?

why does it have to be flash buttons? i probably know what's on your mind...

so here's the thing... first.
    if you can just export your swf into a .gif file, it would be easy..

second.
    you can't have the swf inside an image tag. sorry... not possible, as far as i know.

if you tell us what else you want aside from the aesthetic value of having swfs as links, maybe we can go around it... even with asp.
    Flash MX + ASP + WinXP Pro
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

No real need.....I just want more than a color change or an image change...

The dude I am doing it for needs the code to stay the same, fairly the same, but wants my brand of buttons...

Will a gif kep action script? like an on(rollOver) ?

sorry.. i am just using a pc from a web cafe... they don't have flash here... i guess you should try it out yourself, then you'll know if gif exporting offers that much. what do you mean by on rollovers? animation? if so, well i'm not so sure... you really have to try it out.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

look at any navigation that is done in flash......the buttons are normal flash rollovers......

I need that but to have the HTML just point to it.

you can add it as an object.. that's it...

if you want this button to do sumthing.. what you can do is put an action to execute some url...

let's say on click of the button you want it to go to main.html.. all you have to do is use geturl..(i think) to redirect you there...

if you want to load the page via asp or javascript, you just have to call the function..
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

ok...look at my site....

the main nav...when you roll over a button is does a rollover animation....

All I want is for a img src to point at that.....

So when they rollover a button, it will animate a rollover

How are hybrid sites made...

Is the whole nav in flash? and just put into a top frame?

i know abt rollovers.. hope we're clear now on that...

i am thinking that when you want this swf to be inside an img src, you want to control the onClick event..if i got that right, then you can do so, but not thru an img tag...

display the swf like any other swf.. inside OBJECT tags... then, have the swf redirect the user to the correct page...

inside the swf, have it call a function, perhaps in javascript, to redirect the user to the page.. or sumthn...

try this one out...

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...en-5/more2.php

now, that's for opening a new window, but you can pretty much figure out what to do, right? you have to choose the location, whether in the source of the swf, or in a new window...

just put that swf as an object, and you can still have it do pretty much what an img used as a link can do.

as for hyrbid sites... well,,, the swfs used as navigation can be pre-emptively assigned, knowing what url to request for...

but for dynamic changes, let's say like for asp, where we have querystrings available... what most proggies do is have the onRelease action call a certain function in javascript or in asp, then have that function inside an asp file, or a .vbs or .js file... which can very much be changed and reused normally.

hope this helps.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

oh, and another thing...

some hybrid sites use a big swf file containing the main animation and the navigation as well... in cases like these, they sometimes put the swf in a separate frame from the main page.... so that it won;t have to reload all the time...

which language do you use most? asp? php? if it is in asp, i can help out a bit more... not now, though.. like i said.. i'm not at home.

it's like this... you could try to put in your containing page some functions in javascript...

[script language=javascript]
    [!--
    function loadpage(pagename){
    window.location.href=pagename
    }
    //--]
    [/script]

..umm.. dunno if that went right... but it would be similar...

then, have your swfs have that getURL thingy with "javascript:loadpage(profile.html)" for example...

...i'm gonna try checking this when i get home and confirm it... coz i do asp, basically... javascript isn't my forte.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

actually that makes me very happy to hear....

The whole page is in ASP

With ASP

can I put the asp nav in a left frame, then target the main frame?

Or does ASP not able to go hand in hand with HTML

I am a total ASP noob!(ooh that hurts to type)

asp and html are still somewhat compatible, if i may say so...

you can have the flash nav, asp nav file in the left frame, and you can communicate with the right frame...

still not at home... i am currently working 18hours a day, but when i do get home, i'll give you a sample of having asp communicate with frames.. what's impt is that you have the frrames named.. there will be javascript functions as well...(i think), but the navigation shouldn't be much of a problem...
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

Cause right now he has the page done in table columns....

and Im not really sure how to transpose that into a frame......

I dont think I can just stick the ASP code in a frame can I?

okay... what do you have that you can edit? because it's beginning to confuse me...

you say sum1 is doing your asp coding... and you are doing the flash work....

what's the deal here? because if you can't really edit the asp files, we're in twobble.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

I can edit where they ppoint and change things but the asthetics and the look and the base code need to remain so his asp coders can still work on it.....

I have a question.

If I load the asp page in a frame on the left...

and make the frame only as big as the buttons can be seen..

Can I have it point to the main frame?