dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash good for mp3 play back?

Flash good for mp3 play back?

Hey I was just wondering if it would make sense to use flash for playback of mp3s that are around 45 minutes long. Or would it make more sense to stick to real media or something like that? Thanks.

- Jason
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

why would you want to play it with flash in the first place? just curious...

The Ancient
    It depends on your medium. Is the SWF and the MP3 going to be local, on a LAN/intranet, or streamed over the internet? If over the internet, what is the bitrate you expect to achieve vs. your audience's connection speed?

Flash makes a great player in the appropiate scenarios. For example, in my office we have a MP3 server (internal use only) hooked up to a stereo. The server is also connected to a Flash application on our internal internet that allows employees to put songs they want to hear in the queue, like a jukebox. They all then get played over the stereo.

Additionally, you could have constant music playing in the background of your web site. However, it should be loaded as an external file rather than into the SWF, and be independent of the timeline. Also, if this is a publicly available site, the bit rate would have to be disgustingly low to make it usable. Always remember the poor sap that is still on a 33.6kpbs modem.
    jahasloth

Flash makes a great player in the appropiate scenarios. For example, in my office we have a MP3 server (internal use only) hooked up to a stereo. The server is also connected to a Flash application on our internal internet that allows employees to put songs they want to hear in the queue, like a jukebox. They all then get played over the stereo.
    but why flash? i'm sure there are other better ways? shoot me if i'm mistaken...

Banned
    Why not?

The Ancient
    Because its a server that plays the files at the server, rather than stream to the client. There are very few applications that can do that; most everything is centered around streaming to the client.

Additionally, streaming to the client would bog down the LAN.

And with Flash, developing it ourselves, it was free.
    jahasloth

i see. this is just my first time hearing flash being use not for presentation or game or website. hah hah.
    my bad.

sorry i hijacked the thread! but my question would be: why the quality of my mp3 seems to deteriorate if i played it using flash? tried once before, and it suck, so i stop thinking about it... or is it just me?

Banned
    Was just you I guess!

alrite, i'll move on.
    i'll try to take a look into it again. =)

The Ancient
    If you included the MP3 into the SWF itself, importing it into the FLA, Flash will further compress the MP3, causing poor sound quality.

In my use, we are playing external MP3 files, so it is playing the file back just as you would in WinAmp or Windows Media Player. The quality is fine.
    jahasloth

I'm using flash to play a recorded traning session accessed from our intranet. The training session is 45 minutes long and they sent us a CD that I couldn't use 'cause we can't play CD's from the server. I had to rip the cd to an MP3. I used MP3 because the sound file would be too huge in WAV format. As it is these files are 45MB mp3's ! Corporate IT won't allow people to use Windows Media Player or to install anything, but everyone has the Flash plugin for their browser.

So, I use flash to play the external MP3 of the training session in stream mode. Since there won't be a large number of people playing this thing at once, server load won't be much of an issue. Its actually working very well. It was my best choice given the contrainsts on users.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for all the help guys.

In my case I would need to have 45 minute mp3s available online for people to listen to. It would be a fairly high traffic site so I don't know if that will kill me or what. Maybe I should just stick to real player.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

The Ancient
    It all depends on your situation, and your intended use. If you are just playing a MP3, with no presentation around it, then I would stick with a media server, real player, or something. They are much more efficient at sending audio data through a stream. Flash is great for small files, but certainly not meant for something that long.
    jahasloth