dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Uploading .mov and .mp4 files to server(Streaming)

Uploading .mov and .mp4 files to server(Streaming)

Hi,

I have two movies I want to stream. But they do not stream for some reason. I was wondering if it could be the file format. That I have chosen, the file formats are .mov, and mp4. I hope this information that I have provided has helped.

Thank you!

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    If you post those directly to your server they will use "progressive download". For true "streaming" you need to use a streaming server.
    If you encode for progressive download and encode for a specific bitrate the videos should play immediately and continue to play as they download.
    jb

How do I know, whether or not my server provides streaming and not progressive. Also is .mp4 or .mov progressive, do I have to change these file formats in oder to stream over my server. And yes I did upload these files directly to my server, I guess thats why they do not stream, and take forever to load.
    Last edited by Creative Minds; 10-06-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Wildform Moderator
    You need a streaming server to stream. That is a separate piece of software not supplied by your hosting provider. For Quicktime movies you need a Quicktime server.
    How did you encode the videos? When you encoded there should have been settings that allowed you to specify how the files would be handled using progressie download.

Oh I see, so I need to install a Quickt time server applicatoin. As for the files, I did not create these files my client created them. So can I go to apple and download this software for free or do I need to purchase it as well.