A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swift 3d...shape???

swift 3d...shape???

HI! i am trying to make a robot head in swift 3D, i am trying to use the lathe..i am not very experienced, and well..i feel like a spastic! LOL
    if i post the pic, can someone have a look at it, iam sure anyone that knows a bit could help me out in a few mins...thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike

So what kind of help are you looking for? I know how hard it can be to try to make a head in V3, but what you have going on now looks pretty good to me and seems to fit pretty well with the rest of the robot. Do you want to make a different kind of head or just somehow improve what you have?

I'm assuming you don't have V4 btw, since you say you are trying to use lathes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

hi!
    well the robot, is a sketch some1 did for me...and i am trying to just make the head part of it...(bit by bit )

its a scanned painting!! no way i did that

i want to try and make the head, but i got no idea, like the steps to take....i cant get like that mouth bit to work...
    i have V4 too....is there an easier way?
    thanks with any help mate

Ok, so it's good that you have V4. If you haven't spent a lot of time in the Advanced Modeler this is a good time to dive in.

I would start out with a Sphere primitive and scale it up a bit along the Y axis. Then you will need to scale the horizontal rows of vertices in the front viewport to get the right taper to the head. Do this again in the right or left viewport, this time scaling along the Z axis, to get the profile.

I can't see the side of his head, but it looks like you are going to want to make either the lower half of his head or just his jaw a separate object. You can do this by selecting the appropriate faces, right-clicking, and choosing 'Break Out Selection'. It should be pretty easy to get that jaw line out of the existing mesh, you just might have to turn a few edges. This will make it a separate mesh object and then you will have to cap off the top and bottom halves. I usually create a new Plane primitive then weld up the vertices to close up the mesh.

Once you get one of them capped off, select the faces that make up the capped portion, Duplicate them along the Y axis, use Break Out Selection on them, then combine them with the mating piece. You do this while not in Mesh Edit Mode...select the first object then right-click on the second object and choose 'Combine With Selection'. Then align the cap and weld up all the points. This saves you from having to create an entirely new patch.

That's going to get you a good start. Good luck
    mrush

rush, thanks for the help...
    hmmm, i sort of going ok, i think...but iam stuck...i managed (with great difficulty) to select the bit i want to remove for the jaw....
    but i cant do the beak out selection that you state in the explanation...
    can you think what i might be doing wrong?
    i have to be in edit mesh mode? with what tool??

---- edit!

i think i have got it to work a bit...BUT, when i go to select the faces...they are triangles facing all one way...so i cant for example...if looking at the face straight on, i cant do like a simetrical shape...only one side is how i want it...you follow?
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by michaelbrindley; 10-07-2004 at 03:13 PM.

HACHI-ROKU!!!!
    well, you can always add a cube or something on the other sides to cover it up. Or go into the advanced editor and move some verticies around.
    Life is what you make it!

Not sure why I never responded to this. Did you get your problem figured out, Mike? If not let me know.
    mrush