A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash based UI with integrated programs.

Flash based UI with integrated programs.

Currently I am working on a project that involves testing all kinds of ppl's basic computerskills and see if they are proficient enough to do so for a living.
    This involves users from all age groups and varying learning capacities.

My plan was to make a flash based GUI and integrate a series of tests and tasks for the testees to perform. For some applications that will be in the suite, like typing-tests and such, I have found open source programs, mostly to spare out time and money. (its a non-profit assignment)

Now I need a way to integrate these things (or at the very least run them) from a flash environment. I also need to find a way to make a flexible GUI, that accomodates both the computer-illiterates and the more advanced users.

Any ideas on this project? (I'm just starting up, so the sheet is rather blank atm)

If anyone knows how to integrate external programs into this project, I would be very thankful as well.

In terms of integrating with external programs, about the best you can do without scripting is to just launch the applications.

You'd do this with
    code:
    fscommand("exec","appname");

This will only work from a projector, and the applications have to be within a folder called 'fscommand' which is in the same folder as the projector.

Getting data to and from flash is more difficult; you could use
    code:
    System.setClipboard("string of vars");

which you can then access with another scripting language (like Applescript on a Mac).

In general, integrating external apps with Flash in a nice way is difficult; there isn't really much system integration as far as Flash goes. If you know Director at all, you might be better off going that route.
    Last edited by SJT; 10-07-2004 at 08:19 AM.
    Sam

Thank you SJT, for your helpful input.

In terms of integrating with external programs, about the best you can do without scripting is to just launch the applications.
    Simply launching them is probably enough for now. If I build it correctly, I can also generate the illusion that it is all one integrated suite.

In general, integrating external apps with Flash in a nice way is difficult; there isn't really much system integration as far as Flash goes. If you know Director at all, you might be better off going that route.
    I sincerely do not enjoy working with Director, (I had to in the past) but I guess you're right that it is probably slightly more suited for this project.

I'll try to get he basic functionality out of flash first, then maybe switch if it doesn't work. It might not even be necessary to be able to exactly send data to and from external programs.
    The only thing that probably needs to get in, is a flag that sets wether a test is run or not.

I am very open to ideas about what I can do in terms of testing, so if anyone has a good idea, it will be more than welcome.