A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trying to import a large .swf file - no go!

Trying to import a large .swf file - no go!

I have an avi video that was converter in FlashMX to .swf and given to me. From here, I want to bring it into Swish2.0 and build a project around it - but what happens is this : I go to import it and there is nothing there. I try to play it, but nothing happens. It seems to import it ok, but nothing comes up. Any ideas?

The swf file is about 50MB. Maybe there is a limit on the size of file to be imported into Swish?

Hi mandyyjobs,

The topic of importing swf files has been extensively discussed on this forum in the past.

The difficulty in doing this, importing swf files, is that they do not import well. It is just the nature of the swf file. When swf files "are" imported there is a loss of functionality, sounds, scripts etc.

If you would like to use the swf file that was given to you... then the best way would seem to load the swf into a sprite on your main stage... as an external swf.. using the "loadMovie" script.

This way it will play without difficulty and you will be able to place where desired on your stage.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

jwr
    When all is said and done -- "You MUST be Born Again!" John 3:3

Ok, I will try that. What I am attempting to do is create a autoplay menu studio (TM) presentation with Swish. I want to make a menu that links to three different videos - and then put the presentation on a CD and have it autorun. The flash presentation begins, the user clicks on a menu item, it clicks over to the page with the video and the video plays. Has anyone else attempted this? Maybe a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I've done similar, but don't have a tutorial. Using the "loadMovie" script/action would seem to be the way to go.

You would have your swf files on the CD and then call each of them as the button is pressed to display itself into the sprite in yhour main movie.

If you use the "container" sprite approach... as each movie is separately loaded on request... it will replace the existing movie in the sprite with the new one.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

jwr

I am not really familiar with the load/movie script, but I will try it. I guess I am trying not to waste a bunch of CD getting it to work - I am thinking the only true way to test it is to burn the CD and try it on another computer.

Can you explain the Container approach a little more clearly? I am not that versed in the more advanced modes of Swish.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi mandyyjobs,

The container approach is basically using a sprite that you would name conainer and loading your converting movies into it using the "loadMovie" script.

To do this place a sprite on your stage and move it to your desired location. Renmae the sprite to "container."

Place a round eclipse on the stage that you will use as a button/link. Shape it/size it/colour it to your desire needs.

On the round eclipse place the appropriate scrpt/action to load the extern movie into the sprite conainer.
    Action:

on Release
    Tell Target "/container"
    Load Movie "mysoncertedmovie.swf" in level 1

I have attached a demo for you to see. It is done in Swish 2.01.

In the demo will be able to see the actual setup and action.

Just change the name "myconvertedmovie.swf" to whatever name you convertd Flash movie (swf) is called.

You can position the sprite container to wherever you desire on the stage.

Hope this helps.
    jwr
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for the time and effort. I do get this error when running it though,

LOADING URL (GET) url="myconvertedmovie.swf"
    window=""
    ERROR: Cannot load movie/URL

I don;t know if it needs a directory or folder direction?

Hi mandyyjobs,

hmmm.. are you still using Swish2 or Swishmax?

It sounds like you are now using Swishmax instead of Swish2

Swishmax designates a folder in which it tests swf files in. You can find out which folder this is by clicking on tools then preferences then on Player.

You would need to make sure that your "myconvertedmovie.swf" is in this same folder... or you will get error messages - like the one you got.

Best thing to do is unzip the file I attached into a known directory and double click on the "container1.swf" file and then click on the grey button. It should work no problem.

If you are going to test it witin Swishmax then you would want to make sure the external file (myconvertedmovie.swf) is located in the correct test directory.

I think your error code would have gone on to say:

LOADING URL (GET) url="myconvertedmovie.swf"
    window=""
    ERROR: Cannot load movie/URL
    url="myconvertedmovie.swf"
    check Load Movie Folder settings in Tools > Preferences

Hope this helps. If you need addtional help please post your quetions.

Blessings

jwr
    Last edited by jwr; 10-08-2004 at 11:00 AM.